MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am currently contemplating making the move from my 100% reliable '04 MCS to a '05 MCS hardtop. Like some of the new features in the '05 plus the added power, shortened gear ratios and better acceleration.

Am I crazy? Anyone else done it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I respect your question. I love my 04 MC40. I want a 2005. What to do?

Philosophically, you could make a case that each model year moves you further away from the root of Cooperism.

I've driven and seen some 05's. They seem true to the soul.

So...I'm driving my O4 through the winter, and probably trading on an 05 something in the spring....

Just remember that the MINI line is moving. I keep thinking I'd like to have a 250 hp all wheel drive (AWD) convertible...it could happen....

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
It comes down to money. If you look at the 2005 problem thread, its very short, but a few people (myself included) have some nagging issues like vibrations and the H/K speaker issue. No one has any real problems, and I suspect if you get a Jan production or later, to get the latest things, those issues will be fixed, because MINI clearly knows about them.

If the money and finances work out for you, go for it, I can't really see it being a bad thing - it probably makes more sense then worrying about the newest options and changes, when you could get them easier by just upgrading.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I'd be tempted myself if I wasn't trying to hard to stick to my plan of keeping my S until the "next generation" model comes out!

Despite the fact I don't like a lot of the cosmetic changes, the '05 cars have some nice improvements, mostly in driving pleasure and also (for what I can see) quality and longevity, I'd still be tempted. More ups than downs I'd now say!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul Mullett said:
I'd be tempted myself if I wasn't trying to hard to stick to my plan of keeping my S until the "next generation" model comes out!

Despite the fact I don't like a lot of the cosmetic changes, the '05 cars have some nice improvements, mostly in driving pleasure and also (for what I can see) quality and longevity, I'd still be tempted. More ups than downs I'd now say!
Paul, I agree with you. My reasoning to move up to the '05 MCS is mostly related to the mechanical improvements and the "driving pleasure" factor (Which the my '04 MCS already provides in great quantities) that appears to be a cut above the '02-'04 model years.

My '04 MCS has been rock solid reliable and no unscheduled dealer visits in 13 months of ownership. This is a key aspect I hope not to miss going over a new '05.

I was also thinking of keeping my current MCS until the arrival of the R56 generation, but then again, I've been tempted by the astronomical resale values and the further refinement of the '05 MCS powertrain.

Some of the cosmetic changes, I personally don't care too much about, but some others are nice (map lights, ambient lights, side sunvisors, new halogen headlights, smaller key) so definetely there is a trade off there going from the '04 to the '05. I know I will miss the 2 spoke sport MFSW wheel as I am not too fond of the current 3 spoker.

I am still working out the numbers and still need to get in touch with my Motoring Advisor, but so far for what I have seen things are looking up.

If I put my order this week, I will be motoring in my new '05 MCS in about 6 to 8 weeks. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stryder said:
It comes down to money. If you look at the 2005 problem thread, its very short, but a few people (myself included) have some nagging issues like vibrations and the H/K speaker issue. No one has any real problems, and I suspect if you get a Jan production or later, to get the latest things, those issues will be fixed, because MINI clearly knows about them.

If the money and finances work out for you, go for it, I can't really see it being a bad thing - it probably makes more sense then worrying about the newest options and changes, when you could get them easier by just upgrading.
Did you use to own a MINI before, or is the '05 your first new MINI?

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I had a 2002 MC, that I got in April 02. It then uhh, got totaled in April '03. I then bought an '87 rx-7 while I tried to find a job (got my Masters in May '03) and finally found a job in Jan '04, and then waited a bit for the '05s to come out, before getting like the 3rd that Classic MINI delivered in August. (to make a short story long)

My '02 was cool, but it certainly had its share of problems in the year I owned it, much worse then the '05, and since you're looking at several months later, I'd suspect there's a solution for the few problems that us earlier owners are experiencing.

And the key isn't all that much smaller, the outline is the same, its just a bit thinner, because its not rounded as much, it sits flat on a table, instead of wobbling back and forth like the old one. Check it out when you stop by your dealer.

I also really like the extra options on an '05 - interior + exterior chrome, and the interior colors. Also, you could get the half leather red seats if you wanted now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts