MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoned up to see how much it will cost, looking forward to it being a bit cheaper. Well no, it's an additional £64!!!!!!
For some reason a mini cooper D is a group 12 in their books, the adviser basically told us that the insurance group varies from insurer to insurer.
I never knew this??? As far as I was concerned a mini cooper D is a group 8, and should have been cheaper to insurance or at the very least the same price, not more!!!!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
This may help: Car Insurance : Car Insurance Groups - The AA

Although it is a recommendation, I really don't know why Adrian Flux have put it 4 groups up, they must have their reasons but a group 12?? Maybe its because its now a more attractive and newer car? It will then vary from individual insurers, didn't go near Adrian Flux myself, they quoted me nearly 3 times what i'm now paying.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swift would charge £400. Thats £250 cheaper!!

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
are you altering an existing policy or getting a new one? My insurance company didn't charge me anything to switch from a 5 year old diesel mondeo worth 3k to the Dooper... it actually cost slightly less to insure but not enough to warrant a refund once "admin costs" were factored in...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Phoned up to see how much it will cost, looking forward to it being a bit cheaper. Well no, it's an additional £64!!!!!!
For some reason a mini cooper D is a group 12 in their books, the adviser basically told us that the insurance group varies from insurer to insurer.
I never knew this??? As far as I was concerned a mini cooper D is a group 8, and should have been cheaper to insurance or at the very least the same price, not more!!!!!!
I don't know what your complaining about, I called them (since seeing them quoted as cheap across this forum) and they quoted almost double the quote I got from confused.com. Around 750 compared to 430.

Always pays to shop around, but in my case, not with AF

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Similar happened to me with them as well. Quoted me just shy of £2k to insure on my Works that i just got. Ended up getting fully comp for just under £700. Having said that there were some companys that were quoting near to £4k!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Went with Admiral, found them through comparethemarket.com and were the cheapest. Elephant were also cheap, a little cheaper in fact if i remember correctly but i had problems when sorting the quote out online.
not sure what age groups you all are , ive just done my new cooper d for £235 for the year with churchill , i'm 42 years young , they beat my old insurance company by £140 and i have been with them for the last six years and always came out on top with there quote but not this time .

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm 32 & I just renewed my insurance. I was with Bell & had a renewal quote come through for £408 with a £450 excess on a standard 2002 R53 Cooper S. Anyway I phoned Adrian Flux & declared all the mods i'd done over the past couple of months:

M7 Induction
15% reduced supercharger pulley
KW springs
Wilwood BBK
Stainless Catback exhaust

£412 with a £200 excess!! :)

Always seems like a result when you shop around for car insurance but i'm of the belief that if you're running a standard car that your current insurer "can do better". They always hike up the renewal to capture those who either can't be bothered to switch or just plane forget & let it renew automatically.

If you shop around & then go back to your insurer with cheaper quotes they will generally lower their price.

I only switched because I knew Bell wouldn't be happy with the mods & would either refuse me insurance or put it through the roof.

MAFFA

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh & if anyone's interested in my shopping around findings:

Swift - Always came up cheapest on the comparison sites but in reality these are just to get you to their site where you add on legal cover, voluntary excess, protected no claims etc....& it ends up costing a lot more

Elephant - By far the best online for modified Mini's & always quoted with all options you'd need included already.

Tesco Value - If your car is bog standard then these are the guys for you.

Oh & if anyone's interested i've 7yrs no claims & an SP30 from back in November 2004.

MAFFA

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I perosnally think Adrian flux are amazing for modded cars,

I have both of mine with them and the cost is about 800 for the pair.

However if i had a standard cooper d i would not be using them. Frankly if its standard car then go to drirectline, not many will be able to beat them on price and service. Please rmember the second point service, as when you need to claim that will be more important than the premium.

i would always pay an extra 50 quid or so to know i won;t be messed about in times of claim.

The old saying of " you don;t know how good a policy is until you need it " is so true.

Don;t get premium sighted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts