MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
when i got my car dyno'd it showed my car running heaps rich, i was wondering instead of installing a ecu/chip to my car, is it possible if i could run an apexi safc (a/f controller) and just controll the fuel with this? has anyone done this before? would the ignition timing need to be altered as well with the fuel alteration from the safc?

ive already got the safc from my other turbo car, and its only sitting around, so i was wondering if i should jsut fit the unit to eliminate the rich problem with my MCS.

thanks,
willy

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
wrecky said:
hi guys,
when i got my car dyno'd it showed my car running heaps rich, i was wondering instead of installing a ecu/chip to my car, is it possible if i could run an apexi safc (a/f controller) and just controll the fuel with this? has anyone done this before? would the ignition timing need to be altered as well with the fuel alteration from the safc?

ive already got the safc from my other turbo car, and its only sitting around, so i was wondering if i should jsut fit the unit to eliminate the rich problem with my MCS.

thanks,
willy

PM Mugami or maybe he'll post here.
He's been looking into it for a while.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
is it the SAFC 1 or 2..reason i ask i dont know if the wiring is Different for the two models. Ive got the SAFC2 and yes its up and running on my car now. I've Tuned it a little bit using the a Local dyno and have gotten some improvement with it. Currently waiting on getting some bigger injectors before i go hog wild on tuning it with the SAFC2.

Even though im using it now im not that experience on tuning with it. So im letting the guys at Performance Motorsports do the Tunning. On my Inital run with the current mods i have it appeared i was topping out the injectors. because of this is why im waiting on getting the new ones before i spends an hour or two on the dyno to get the car fine tuned =)

PM or leave a message if you have any question on installing the SAFC2, But beside that you might want to talk to Hubie at SPI. the guy who did the Twin Charge MCS. He's the one who gave me the wiring diagram on how to hook it up.

Have fun, Be safe and Keep MOTOV8N

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mugami said:
is it the SAFC 1 or 2..reason i ask i dont know if the wiring is Different for the two models. Ive got the SAFC2 and yes its up and running on my car now. I've Tuned it a little bit using the a Local dyno and have gotten some improvement with it. Currently waiting on getting some bigger injectors before i go hog wild on tuning it with the SAFC2.

Even though im using it now im not that experience on tuning with it. So im letting the guys at Performance Motorsports do the Tunning. On my Inital run with the current mods i have it appeared i was topping out the injectors. because of this is why im waiting on getting the new ones before i spends an hour or two on the dyno to get the car fine tuned =)

PM or leave a message if you have any question on installing the SAFC2, But beside that you might want to talk to Hubie at SPI. the guy who did the Twin Charge MCS. He's the one who gave me the wiring diagram on how to hook it up.

how much power gains did you get withyour slight tune with standard injectors?
would you say its bang for bucks to get the safc 1 installed or just save up and get a whole ecu all together? and what mods have you got?
my car is pretty much stock at the moment, just an air ram pod filter.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Lets see one question as a time.

1) Q: where can i source the diagram.
A: can't They dont make it for The Mini. But i will go to Apexi.usa.com and compare what the diagram for the 1 is vs 2 if pretty much same i'll post what i got from Hubie.

2) Q: how involved is the installation.
A: It requires tapping/ Splicing into 8 wires and Cutting 1 wire. Thats it no extra parts. which is the connectors to the ECU and of course running the wire from inside the cab through the firewall and into the ECU housing box. Total time (some one with a good back) about 30 mins or less.

3) Q: How much power did i get with the slight tune.
A: The slight tune that i did was to attempt to lean it out a little ( 3%) in the area where it was the riches. Appox the 4500-5800 area. The next run did show it ran leaner in that area and made about 1-2 more HP in just that area.

4) Q: Is it worth it. Bang for buck vs getting whole ecu pakage.
A: Since you said you already have it. The its ok to put it on. But a $300.00 device vs approx $70.00 MTH ecu reflash. Which i have as well. Then the Reflash is far betters..Since you can change revlimiter jpoints, alter the timing, Get rid of the Speed limiter (US regulated at 135mph) amoung other things. The SAFC's are used to Fine tune the car for different areas to squeeze out even more power.

5) Q: What mods do i have?
A: take a look at the signature :cool: but heres a rundown of just the engine mods

DIY CAI
19% PD/Helix pulley
Screaming Demon Coil pack
Liverwire spark plugs wires
IK22 Spark plugs
Supper Trap exhaust tips on slightly modified Stock piping.
Lightwieght flywheel and stage 3 clutch
LSD by Phantom grip
MTH ECU reflash
SAFC2 controller

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Ok looking at Apexi's site at the diagram the only thing i see Different between the two. Is that the SAFC2 has an extra set of wires thats used for a different style of Pressure sensor. www.apexi-usa.com. Unforturnatly i dont know if this makes a differenece. The color codes for the wire you cut are different between the two.

Just went back to my notes from Hubie. The information he gave me is proprietory and to be fair to Hubie and the Guys from SPI ill give them a call tomorrow and see if i can release the information. I dont think i should have any problems since A). its after there SEMA show (which was also part of the agreement) and B) Its not there product. But i did give them my word i wouldn't. So i need to check to see if i can.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
my heavily modded rig was doing 189 whp, dynoed at Helix. Went to hubie who dynoed it at 187whp. after tweaking the apexi, he got 198whp. two weeks later, he added 440 injectors and tweaked again 212whp

intake, throttle body, extrude honed snoots, headwork by Endyn, Promini cam, larger exhaust valves, supersprint header AMP 3" cat, supersprint exhaust, 19% pulley. AMD One-click.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.