MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I right in thinking Approved Used Mini's are suppost to go through some sort of check to ensure everything is ok?

So for example the bumper shouldn't fall off after 2 weeks & 220 miles?

Attachments

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
No, the bumper hasn't fallen off. Its a bit of a design fault associated with the R50 mini. What happens is, the bonnet doesn't always shut properly. If you press down on either headlight, it will click in. It happens most times you open the bonnet. You will have to press hard but it will click eventually! Hope this helps - don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the car - they're all like that!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the bumper hasn't fallen off. Its a bit of a design fault associated with the R50 mini. What happens is, the bonnet doesn't always shut properly. If you press down on either headlight, it will click in. It happens most times you open the bonnet. You will have to press hard but it will click eventually! Hope this helps - don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the car - they're all like that!
Cheers for that!

It was closed, honest! its going in for new bonnet catches tomorrow under warranty as these are all rusted, maybe that side came unclipped when I went over a bump?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Cheers for that!

It was closed, honest! its going in for new bonnet catches tomorrow under warranty as these are all rusted, maybe that side came unclipped when I went over a bump?
Yeah if they are rusted, thats always possible. Even with the new catches, you'll have to push on the headlights if this happens. Even when Minis are brandnew (well our model anyway) the same problem happens, but it shouldn't come undone again! Hope it works out for you, but do learn to enjoy pushing your bonnet down! I use it to 'feel' whether the car needs polishing - 2 jobs in 1!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
other point to add.... when it comes to closing the bonnet, if you need to click each side shut, push down on the top of the headlamp NOT the wing - the bonnet moulding is soft, and you can dent it by pushing down on it ;)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
other point to add.... when it comes to closing the bonnet, if you need to click each side shut, push down on the top of the headlamp NOT the wing - the bonnet moulding is soft, and you can dent it by pushing down on it ;)
Thats what I meant! I just thought if I said headlight, he/she may push down on the actual glass!:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for all the replys, my dealer told me to push on the mini badge to close it. Is this incorrect advice then?

I had new bonet catches fitted today, so hopefully it won't come open again.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Well, you might put a dent in the bonnet, and pushing down on the badge pushes the pressure either side, with the centre of pressure in the middle = dents are more likely.

By pushing down on the headlight (metal above), you put pressure on that catch and the risk of getting a dent is substantially reduced. It will just take a bit longer because you have to do either side, but you don't risk dents:). Thats how I ensure mine is shut, and I remember the dealer telling me this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts