MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Blandon_cooper
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is alot of chat about the cooper underperforming, not being quick enough, being too heavy etc etc, but is all this realistic?

I made my choice to buy a 04 Cooper based on the specs of other 'similar' cars, like the two seater MX-5 1.6i and MG TF 115 both of which are more expensive than the cooper and do not perform as well. Although the fuel consumption is around the same, they both pull 0-60 around 0.2 or so slower than the cooper.

It all depends on what you want at the end of the day, but I challenge anyone to find a better car based on price and performance. :black: :black: :black:

·
Comes and Goes
257 Posts
erm i also drive a cooper and agree with you however...

i think some of the new clio range do very well on acceleration and fairly cheap (build quality lacking in my opinion though)

the base price is cheap on the cooper, but goes up very quickly if you spec it with specs of a standard car in its price range it becomes more expensive.

if you ask me, you get value for money. the cooper aint that quick, but if these people wanted speed buy the cooper S works. if thats to expensive buy an old beast like a v-tec crx or another fav of boy racers renault 5 turbo.

They moan about the cooper ---> price wise for a bit extra you get alot more than the one.

·
Blandon_cooper
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi eddie, thanks for the reply,

I really do believe that the mini has created a unique place in the market and for the price (as long as not specc'd to ridiculously) offers great value for money.

Although I guess it is sitting somewhat awkwardly between a sports car and a quick small car, but i suppose that is where the S comes in, albeit with a higher price tag.

Also that thing with chipping the ECU on the One to make it into a cheap Cooper doesn't sit with me either, once you add sports suspension etc the price would creap up above the cooper.

Like you say, if a sports car is what you want then you are going to have to be prepared to pay alot more for an expensive to run gas guzzler.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
nashimas said:
It all depends on what you want at the end of the day, but I challenge anyone to find a better car based on price and performance. :black: :black: :black:
And don't forget style! You may get a faster, cheaper car here in the states than a Cooper S, (i.e. Dodge Neon SRT4) but you won't look as good and it won't handle nearly as well! As for the Cooper, I'm not sure what could even come close to touching it in it's price range over here.

·
Blandon_cooper
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, style goes without saying :), and that is definately one of it's strongest selling points, the mini turns heads, no matter what country you live in.

I don't know about anyone else, but I sometimes get the 'challenge' from the MaxPower minded drivers, I just don't take any notice and think 'well your car is just basically uncool', and with all those mods would probably last about 12 months.

The mini cooper is built to last, and when kept at high revs, does deliver.

·
Registered
708 Posts
nashimas said:
There is alot of chat about the cooper underperforming, not being quick enough, being too heavy etc etc, but is all this realistic?
I dunno about you but i always find people underestemate how nippy the cooper can be, a lot of people i have spoke to always think its a 1.4 engine etc. I also get this impression when im out on the road, it can certainly suprise a few of the other model 1.6's out there focus', audi 1.6, civic 1.6. etc

The cooper is certainly a great car compromising descent performance, fuel economy, style at an affordable price!

·
Blandon_cooper
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's it, other drivers either underestimate the cooper or see it as a threat :p

I like your comparison, I've checked the specs and price etc for the Audi A3 1.6 Sport manual and the Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC sport manual, and both cars are slower off the mark with the Audi A3 lagging behind at 11.9 seconds 0-60mph, in a head to head race against these cars, the Cooper would win without question.

The Audi also weighs in at £17,500 on the road, hmmm, now I kwow I placed my money on the right car :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think people, especially in the states, have a very limited view of what performance means. Americans seem fixated on 0-60 times so general perfornance discussions rarely look at overall handling dynamics.

I have had my Cooper since 02 and have found it to be the best driving car I've ever owned (compared to/ BMW, Acura, Volvos I've also owned). In daily driving, I find I typically out accelerate most drivers when the need/desire arises and nobody (except other Mini's or very expensive metal) can match perfornance through the twisties.

That said, I did go w/ the S for my drop top. ;)

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
When I bought my Cooper, I was a car enthusiast. I did not love the MINI like I do now. I bought it because it was the coolest, best car I could reasonably afford. That, to me, says it all. I felt it was the best value. I didn't get it because I was obsessed with having a MINI. That happened later!!! :D :D

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Dollar for dollar in the U.S., the MINI is the best spent money if you are an enthusiast or a true lover of driving. You will not find a best deal or vehicle for $20k.

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
indimini said:
I think people, especially in the states, have a very limited view of what performance means. Americans seem fixated on 0-60 times so general perfornance discussions rarely look at overall handling dynamics.

I have had my Cooper since 02 and have found it to be the best driving car I've ever owned (compared to/ BMW, Acura, Volvos I've also owned). In daily driving, I find I typically out accelerate most drivers when the need/desire arises and nobody (except other Mini's or very expensive metal) can match perfornance through the twisties.

That said, I did go w/ the S for my drop top. ;)
You nailed it. Americans only care about 0-60. It's frustrating in some ways, but, hey, I know I'm the one in the more enjoyable car! :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
indimini said:

In daily driving, I find I typically out accelerate most drivers when the need/desire arises and nobody (except other Mini's or very expensive metal) can match perfornance through the twisties.
I couldn't agree more. Here's a tidbit from the NPR Car Talk guys (in the States) from their Cooper test drive:

"Like the Mazda Miata sports car, the Mini has an engine that's absolutely perfect for it -- at least with the manual transmission that we tested. The people who *****ed about the Miata not having enough power (and those who register the same complaint about the Mini) just don't get it. The idea of these fun, great handling cars is not to make the world fly by so quickly that you can't see anything. The goal is to enjoy the ride. The Mini's engine makes you shift the gears; it makes you drive the car. It's just right. The one downside is that when you come to an "almost stop," and drop below 10 miles and hour, you'll need to shift into first. That's the only price you pay for the small engine and we can live with that. Mini also make a Cooper S, with a supercharged, 160 HP engine. We'll test it when it comes to Our Fair City, but we lean toward recommending the pure, base Mini Cooper."

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
I personally think the Cooper is fantastic car. Yes I do now have an MCS on order but this is purely cos I wanted another mini and it would feel strange having exactly the same car again so decided I would go for an S this time. However I would always recommend a Cooper to anyone who asked as I consider mine to be very nippy and very few people get away from me at the lights!!!

·
Blandon_cooper
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I guess we are all in agreement that the MINI Cooper offers possibly the most enjoyable driving experience of any other car currently in production in terms of performance, fuel economy, price and overall attractiveness.

It has cut it's own niche in the conventional car and motorsport world, basically this car does not underperform, especially for the price, if a faster car is what people want then there is the S or maybe take it all the way and go for the Lotus Elise (1.8), but you'll have to pay alot more money for a bit more performance.

Attachments

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
gokartride said:
I couldn't agree more. Here's a tidbit from the NPR Car Talk guys (in the States) from their Cooper test drive:

"Like the Mazda Miata sports car, the Mini has an engine that's absolutely perfect for it -- at least with the manual transmission that we tested. The people who *****ed about the Miata not having enough power (and those who register the same complaint about the Mini) just don't get it. The idea of these fun, great handling cars is not to make the world fly by so quickly that you can't see anything. The goal is to enjoy the ride. The Mini's engine makes you shift the gears; it makes you drive the car. It's just right. The one downside is that when you come to an "almost stop," and drop below 10 miles and hour, you'll need to shift into first. That's the only price you pay for the small engine and we can live with that. Mini also make a Cooper S, with a supercharged, 160 HP engine. We'll test it when it comes to Our Fair City, but we lean toward recommending the pure, base Mini Cooper."
Wow, that is an excellent quote, so true. I wish everybody could realize this... well, maybe not, then EVERYBODY would be driving MINIs! :p

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
For a warm hatch the Cooper's performance is fine, if you live in a city 124 mph and 9 secs 0-60 is quite enough, I can get away from the lights quickly and there are so many speed traps around in London I don't venture much above the speed limits. Yes you can get a faster Clio but then you would have to endure the lack of style, build quality and a cheap and nasty plastic interior. Likewise the Skoda Fabia & Seat Ibiza TDs - faster, yes. Do they handle as well and are they as stylish and & as much fun to personalise as a MINI? Hell no!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've never had anyone in my Cooper complain/comment about the lack of grunt. Though to be fair, I have tweaked the car a little (exhaust, air-filter and engine remap). You'll probably find that most people who'd complain about the weight or lack of performance are not driving the car properly: The engine needs high revs, something that few people seem to deal with, they think that they're wearing out the engine.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Prowse said:
I've never had anyone in my Cooper complain/comment about the lack of grunt. Though to be fair, I have tweaked the car a little (exhaust, air-filter and engine remap). You'll probably find that most people who'd complain about the weight or lack of performance are not driving the car properly: The engine needs high revs, something that few people seem to deal with, they think that they're wearing out the engine.

Yeah, high revs take getting used to if you are not acclimated to it. My Acura was a slug unless it was dancing around 4000RPM. But it sounded like warp drive warming up around there and many people would then back off......and then complain about it being a slug. Hahaha... :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.