MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm trying to persuade my wife that an Mini is a suitable replacement for a MGF.

She doesn't like the big centre speedo ' why do I have to look at where the radio should be to see how fast I'm going?'

Are there speedo's available that can be mounted next to the rev counter?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
OBC can display speed in the tacho - This is how I use mine.

I only look at the centre speedo for time and fuel gauge

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
Ditto, Its funny that how mahoosive the speedo is in the R56, I never use it to check my speed. The rev counter gives me all the info I need on my current speed.
I never do when driving either :eek: I also showed my driving instructor how to put it there, and it helps everyone such a lot :p:D:D

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
I may be wrong but I think that the ability to display speed on the tacho only came in with the facelift in July 04. Certainly my pre facelift Cooper only displayed the very helpful average speed on the OBC.

But post July 04 cars all have this ability.
That sounds about right IIRC ;)

Our pre-facelift had nothing, but been in a few face-lifts and they have all had them as well as the R56 when sepcified with the OBC :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't have the privalege of OBC so I look at the middle one (seeing as its the only one :eek:) but I now find it weird driving cars with them ahead of me!

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
My old 52 plate Cooper never had the OBC, and it wouldn't have had the speed readout anyway. So I got used to looking at the centre speedo.

My 56 plate Cooper S has the OBC which I find very useful but I still occasionally revert back to looking at the centre speedo as a matter of habit.

·
1950s Housewife
3,253 Posts
My old 52 plate Cooper never had the OBC, and it wouldn't have had the speed readout anyway. So I got used to looking at the centre speedo.

My 56 plate Cooper S has the OBC which I find very useful but I still occasionally revert back to looking at the centre speedo as a matter of habit.
Same. Although having had both, I suspect that the slight angle of looking at the central speedo makes you think you are going slightly slower than you are :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Got a 57 plate cooper dec 07 build.

Get her out in one and show her the digital Speedo on the Rev counter. I just got my cooper a few weeks ago and its been no problem, in fact I’d say it was clearer then my old Honda Dial as its more or less in your face.:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
My old May 2004 build Cooper had the OBC which displayed current speed. This was just before the facelift so must have been available on these later models too. Likewise I had a 3-spoke steering wheel (non-MFSW) which, so I was told, was a new addition for that time.
Same as that, my 04 cooper had the MPH read out on the OBC and also the 3 spoke steering (Non MFSW)

Isn't is also possible to spec the 'chrono' pack on a new car (or if buying second hand, look for a car that has that option fitted), which places a regular speedometer, directly behind the steering wheel, beside the rev counter...

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Same as that, my 04 cooper had the MPH read out on the OBC and also the 3 spoke steering (Non MFSW)

Isn't is also possible to spec the 'chrono' pack on a new car (or if buying second hand, look for a car that has that option fitted), which places a regular speedometer, directly behind the steering wheel, beside the rev counter...
The Chrono pack does give a speedo next to the rev counter, as does sat nav, but only on the older Mini's. On the latest version Mini's the. Chrono pack is not available.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I may be wrong but I think that the ability to display speed on the tacho only came in with the facelift in July 04. Certainly my pre facelift Cooper only displayed the very helpful average speed on the OBC.

My Sept 2003 pre facelift Cooper S has the speed display. Use it all the time. I always thought the central speedo was for show only, I didn't realise some people have to use it.

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Your wife is right - the MINI is not a replacement for a MGF.

The MGF looked like a sports car, but just wasn't. (I'm sure it had good points, but I can't take a car seriously with metro door mirrors :eek:)

The MINI doesn't look like a sports car, but really is. :D

·
Registered
22,101 Posts

you are wrong - it came in with the OBC upgrade as my 04 build (jan so pre facelift) has this function ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts