MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I heard somewhere that the JCW calipers are the same as those fitted to the late model R53's, exept they are not painted red.

Is there any truth to this?

I feel something needs to be done with the brakes on my S, I am used to driving a RS Clio 172. When giving the S some on the brakes they are just not cutting it with me.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Late model R53's did not have JCW brake calipers.

However the new R56 MINI calipers and disks are the same as the old R53 JCW brakes

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Thought you might turn up in here eventually:D
I was reading the original post and opened up another session to find the link to my thread only to discover that you had beat me to it.

Seems like you and I are reading the same threads tonight :D:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for clearing that one up, are the R53 JCW discs 294mm, or just the R56 ones?

I take it as usual they are stupid money from MINI?

In the accessories book it lists JCW brakes at £645 :eek:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I paid a hell of a lot less than that for R53 brakes when I brought them;)

Give Chris a call at Woodmans, order yourself either the R56 disks and calipers, or if you want even better get the new R56 calipers and the R56 JCW disks:)

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
R53 JCW and R56 S brakes have the same size front discs

If I had an R53 and wanted to improve the brakes and keep JCW then I would buy the R56 Sports brake kit from Chris at Woodmans - unless your local dealer can beat Chris's price.
Details as per the link that Rakey posted

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
The same as what is fitted to my R53 MCS
I am not sure about the caliper and pad details of the R56

If you want to upgrade your rears at a reasonable price I would recommend Using JCM slotted rear discs (UK MINI Challenge) and Mintex 1144 pads - available from Tony Franks at MINIMOTORSPORTCENTRE.

Both of my GPs have the same set up - excellent for fast road and light track use.
R56 Grooved / slotted discs with R56 pads
JCM slotted rear discs with Mintex 1144 pads

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sorry guys I hate to spoil your fun but the R53 works brakes are NOT the same as the standard R56 cooper brakes.

The discs are not the same size and the pads are also different, maybe the S model is?

The R53 kit is ATE and the R56 is another make....It will come to me!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Dave - just to make things clear

The R56 S are the same size as R53 JCW for the fronts

Yes they are by different manufacturers.

Front Pads are interchangeable and R56 S pads are cheaper than R53 JCW pads

R56 Cooper and One are different than the R56 S - not sure about the Dooper

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not sure about the caliper and pad details of the R56

If you want to upgrade your rears at a reasonable price I would recommend Using JCM slotted rear discs (UK MINI Challenge) and Mintex 1144 pads - available from Tony Franks at MINIMOTORSPORTCENTRE.

Both of my GPs have the same set up - excellent for fast road and light track use.
R56 Grooved / slotted discs with R56 pads
JCM slotted rear discs with Mintex 1144 pads
Cheers for your reply, if I bought the JCW brakes package (34 11 0 395 455) would the rear brakes be changed at all, or is it just the front brakes that are changed?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Cheers for your reply, if I bought the JCW brakes package (34 11 0 395 455) would the rear brakes be changed at all, or is it just the front brakes that are changed?
I assume that you are saying that number is the R53 JCW brake kit - I do not know the kit number. If so it will be Fronts only with PLAIN faced discs

This is the R56 JCW sport brake kit as per the linked post. FRONTS only

Kit part number 34 11 0 428 914 Consisting of
2 x Drilled and slotted front discs – 34 11 6 777 826 – these are not handed.
Calliper complete with pads LH – 34 11 6 779 003
Calliper complete with pads RH – 34 11 6 779 004
Installing Info / warning booklet – 0397293
Label – 1 29 0 397 302
Installing instruction – 1 29 0 397 588

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the picture supplied they look like what you fitted to yours, they are drilled and slotted.

Here is the page from the Accessories Booklet so you can see what I am on about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts