MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to get a sense of what other people feel about mini ownership.
Why do we put up with stuff that would run other car companies out of business.
You know what I'm talking about.
Absurd markups
6 month waiting lists
repeated trips to the dealer for repairs that should not have been necessary.
butter soft windscreens.
Horrific dealer service.
long drives to the dealer.

what is it about the mini that makes us so willing to let it all go.

My vote is that the mini has some sort of zen-chakra focusing framework that makes us all feel relaxed and good when we drive our babies. say it with me "it's all good"

p.s it seems that more mini owners than not have named their mini's so whats yours.
mine is "Weezy" Jefferson's weezy not hard to breathe weezy.

lets here what you have to say

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Well, luckily for me, I don't have to put up with one of those nagging issues you mentioned. I guess I am in the right place for the right car.

But it's the MINI driving experience and the owner's network. BMW does something to their vehicles that is much like crack to a druggie. You feel so guilty paying through the nose and all the problems it causes, but once your are back in the driver's seat, you don't care about that anymore. Just like drugs.

(not that I would know about drugs in that way.....) :(

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I haven't had to deal with most of the things you mentioned either....well maybe the crappy service.
I think what it comes down to is that because we have such a fun car we are willing to over look all the bad. Also, chatting with and meeting fellow owners is another perk. Let's you know you aren't the only insane one out there.

Oh, my cars name is Boo, btw.

·
MINI2 Regular
53 Posts
There are two mini dealers within 10 miles of where i live and both of them have always given me excellent service.

Waiting lists are long because of the huge demand for the car, and according to what i've heard about expansion plans for the Oxford plant, probably wont last forever.

I've enjoyed the three month wait i've had for my car, it added anticipation and excitement. Makes finally getting the car much more special.

·
Registered
836 Posts
emmmm, I waited 3 months. I'd a few probs with my dealer, they messed up during a service but they were very apologetic and fixed it, gave me a loan car etc. In terms of customer service they are 110% and I do believe it was just one person beiong careless, and a once off.

I hope things improve for ya :) Oh and mines called Bling - ;)

·
FLOWER POWERED!
856 Posts
I had no probs with the dealer they were really good and continue to be. I had my car within a month, but then they did find it in a garage somewhere else for me. Someone had ordered her and then changed their minds or something :eek: how could they!

Her name is Daisy :yone: and she is beautiful!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
Eeyore and I have had a running joke for years that the "other woman's" name was Samantha.

So, when the MC arrived and I started spending more time in the garage (and sneaking out without Eeyore from time to time) the Cooper soon got the name "Samantha" :D

As for bother from the car and the dealership, the Cooper has been one of the most reliable cars that I've owned and the build quality is up there with that of the company Volvo V70. The dealership has been great as well (Ocean BMW, Penryn).

The upside of the wait for delivery is the fantastic resale value, so I can live with that. :)

Tigger.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
I wouldn't put up with your experiences, then again, mine have been nothing short of outstanding up to about this point.
Selected ole PKT RKT, put my deposit down and drove off with it the next morning.
The dealership gave me a discount and included a full tank of gas, two different key chains.
Whenever it has been for service I have been provided with a courtesy car and my drives there were maybe 15 miles from home and 10 from work........
Not a peep out of my windshield........
All of that out of Classic MINI in Mentor Ohio

Now I have moved to France.....
My new dealership is Artes Automobiles, in Chambourcy.....
First service bill: 1300 USD WITHOUT them bothering to call me with an estimate or an approval. Of course no courtesy car and yes, my electric mirrors no longer work and whenever you hit the DSC button the "check engine light" comes on. I tried to order the new JCW upgrade and the "parts department was too busy to look up the part, please call us with the number when you get it"
As there is a bit of a language issue and they are brand spanking new, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.....suddenly though I feel I crossed the threshold to the "dark side of MINI".......we'll see.........

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
pocketrocketowner said:
Now I have moved to France.....
My new dealership is Artes Automobiles, in Chambourcy.....
First service bill: 1300 USD WITHOUT them bothering to call me with an estimate or an approval. Of course no courtesy car and yes, my electric mirrors no longer work and whenever you hit the DSC button the "check engine light" comes on. I tried to order the new JCW upgrade and the "parts department was too busy to look up the part, please call us with the number when you get it"
As there is a bit of a language issue and they are brand spanking new, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.....suddenly though I feel I crossed the threshold to the "dark side of MINI".......we'll see.........

I hold back on the obvious comment.... :bad:

·
Anyone for haggis??
46 Posts
I bought my MINI on a Tuesday and picked it up 1 week later.....although I have heard of folk waiting 10 weeks, usually only because they want specifics done to it (works kits, custome alloys etc)

My cars called Junior.......and the ladies love him! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.