MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Evil One
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Finally getting the alloys refurbed after much curbing. Quick Q though, are the R90 Anthracite wheels diamond cut? Is it worth the extra price (£75 for each wheel normal finish vs. £150 each for diamond cut)?

Let us know!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have R90 replicas and after removing the lacquer I sprayed one in a chrome finish on the rim and didn't like it. I have stripped this and am polishing the rims myself. I am using a normal electric drill, some 80 grit, some 400 grit and metal polish. The painted part of my wheels have no problems. If yours only have the polished part rusting (aluminium rust is white) I have seen some wheel refurbishers will do the rim only to keep the costs down.

·
Evil One
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With my parking abilities, some of the spokes need touching up too!

I'm sending the wheels in to have them refurbished tomorrow morning, and i'm going to go for the polised rim as I do think they are the best compromise. The thing is, should the rims be laquered, or shall I have them bare metal allowing me to wax the lips occasionally?

·
Registered
754 Posts
You could probably get away with leaving the rims unlacquered. I have similar problems with polished R105's where stone chips hit the lacquered part in the winter time and salt gets in, and you get the milky corrosion. Problem with 105's is there is a lot more to polish on the wheel and I'm to lazy to keep polishing them. You would need to protect the alloy in winter time though, with a light coat of grease or something?

I have a good wheel, unkerbed, that was totally refurbed about 16 months ago but has corrison under the lacquer from last winter, so needs to be dipped and stripped again. I was offered the choice at the time whether I wanted them lacquered or not but went for the lazy more expensive option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts