MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I hate my colt
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the next generation Cooper S looks like its going to come with a 1.6L turbo, is it now going to be known as the Cooper T? Perhaps the 1.6T is suitable :D, maybe even the mini cooper s, but now with new and improved turbo lag! yaaayyy go peugeot, its your birthday.
oh yeah by the way I put down the deposit my new MCS yesterday:

-PW/B, stripes
-Anthracite everything including roof liner, dash, trim, etc
-Xenon headlamps
-Sunroof
-and yes, the limited slip differential


Happy new year everybody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Miami said:
Since the next generation Cooper S looks like its going to come with a 1.6L turbo, is it now going to be known as the Cooper T? Perhaps the 1.6T is suitable :D, maybe even the mini cooper s, but now with new and improved turbo lag! yaaayyy go peugeot, its your birthday.
oh yeah by the way I put down the deposit my new MCS yesterday:

-PW/B, stripes
-Anthracite everything including roof liner, dash, trim, etc
-Xenon headlamps
-Sunroof
-and yes, the limited slip differential


Happy new year everybody
Why would they change the name? The "S" doesn't mean "Supercharged". It'll still be a Cooper S whatever engine they put in.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
50,323 Posts
CooperID said:
The 'S' on the classic minis was for either 'special' or 'sport' depending on who you talk to...

The Cooper S existed before the current BMW supercharged version was ever thought about :)
We have a winner:D

When the S was developed Cooper and Issigonis both had different ideas for the name of the new Cooper, should it be special or sport? So they couldn't decide so went with just S:)
 

·
///M Power
Joined
·
5,066 Posts
Rakey said:
We have a winner:D

When the S was developed Cooper and Issigonis both had different ideas for the name of the new Cooper, should it be special or sport? So they couldn't decide so went with just S:)
I knew it was something like that.... we always get the right answer in the end :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
It would be a shame

It would be a shame to put a turbo in such a small engine. Turbo Lag will kill the accelaration, although at higher RPMs :( it will be more effiicient. You can't have it both ways, although I would have preferred BMW to stay with the SC
 

·
Canned
Joined
·
13,888 Posts
Charlie Brown said:
It would be a shame to put a turbo in such a small engine. Turbo Lag will kill the accelaration ...
From an article on the MotoringFile:
Twin-scroll turbocharger

On the twin-scroll turbocharger the ducts of each set of two cylinders are separated from one another in the exhaust gas manifold and the turbocharger. This serves to build up a charge effect from just about 1,400 rpm, with torque being generated just as quickly as on a compressor engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Yer gonna have to correct your friends now, as I am pretty sure that is the power steering pump you are hearing!

It's almost certainly not the supercharger!

RMout

I like the winding down noise the supercharger makes when you switch the engine off.
That is the supercharger, right? Cos thats what I,ve been telling people !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
RallyMINI said:
Yer gonna have to correct your friends now, as I am pretty sure that is the power steering pump you are hearing!

It's almost certainly not the supercharger!

RMout
Well yeah, it is the supercharger whine according to my service writer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
kyriian said:
turbo also makes a very unique noise u know? do i hear a 'blow off valve???'
Unfortunately, they also get monsterously hot and cook their bearings. There are electric pumps that maintain oil circulation and pressure for a few minutes after shutdown to help mitigate this problem, but they are expensive and not easy to find. I'd rather have a supercharger.

Rawhyde
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,813 Posts
With a turbo unless they do something hideously wrong its going to be very very quick
once modified. More power potential than a Supercharger for sure.
300 bhp will probably not be too difficult. Regards Roland Gt Tuning.
ps When is this coming out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
I went to JCW a couple of months ago with the Mini Cooper Register.

Mike Cooper told us that when BMC wanted to call a new version the Cooper Special, John Cooper didn't like the name and suggested that they just called it Cooper S.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top