MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this picture for a rifle in a hunting magazine. Although the image has been changed (slightly), it is clearly a Mini speedometer. What ever happened to copyrights? I know there is a certain allowance for artistic change, but I am sorry, all they have done is change the graduated numbers, and modified the wording in the miles readout. They didn't even bother to change the colors, or small details like the shape of the needles.

On an upside, I must say that I wouldn't mind if my speedo read in FPS rather than MPH.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm not sure the speedometer has any protectable elements that have been misappropriated here. I don't see it as a copyright issue -- perhaps a trade dress, but even then, you cannot protect purely functional elements (e.g., the very functional needle).

But as for buying a product giving you the right to exploit it in advertising, that doesn't hold true here in the U.S. I could not, for example, take my Nike shoe off my foot, take a picture, and then use it to help advertise something else, at least not in such a way as to imply any endorsement by Nike. That could violate Nike's trade mark and/or trade dress rights.

Bottom line -- sure, they incorporated a MINI speedometer in their ad, but I doubt that it violates any of MINI's IP rights.

I'm an intellectual property lawyer, so I felt a little compelled to write in... I hope this cleared up more confusion than it generated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
camminich
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing