MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm yet to order my Cooper, but hopefully in Jan. however, ASC+T is pretty high on my list of likely options. Can anyone confirm how worthwhile it is ?

Seems good value at £100, especially if it saves a set of front tyres, but does it really work, or does it take ages to cut in ? Also, does it work on ice, snow and in other tricky conditions to keep you on the straight and narrow ?

I assume that the Mini doesn't have even as an option, the DSC stability control of 3 series BM's ?

Sorry, lots of questions and so little time.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Yes, you can get MINI with DSC! (I think)

I have ASC+T on mine and it is very useful in the wet, not had a chance to drive in snow or ice yet...!

It's worth the £100 and without it you lose a switch from the main panel making it look a little empty..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mini brochure almost seems to suggest that stability control is standard, but I take most of what it says with many pinches of salt because it's full of errors (or the last one I saw was).

Yeah, ASC+T seems like a bargain and definitely staying on my list... the big two options that are causing me & misses headaches at the mo are A/C and Chilli pack...I'll explain - are you sitting comfortably ?

A/C - Both me and misses currently have cars with full climate control, which we both use, but always switch A/C off immediately to avoid the fuel consumption & reduced performance = tight gits! Perhaps only 2-3 days per year when we use it, so £600 is hard to swallow.

Chilli - 16" wheels are cool, as is the 1/2 leather seats in red, but spoiler and SPS+ we can both live without = a v.tricky decision, either Chilli or Pepper + 16" wheels + sports seats and a few pennies saved.

I'm sure many others have agonised over their option decisions and colour choices, but the Mini, just like my Alfa 156 makes it v.v.difficult with sooo many options, so many options and heart wanting to rule the head all the time!

Having lost loads of money on new cars in the last few years due to poor residuals, we are keen to retain some money from the Mini, so after a good balance between sports/performance/looks and retained value. Can't help thinking that most of the cost of A/C & Chilli will be lost come resale time.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
monsta said:
Yes, you can get MINI with DSC! (I think)
Yeh you are right Monsta, it is an optional extra, not sure how much though.

Weird for some strange reason, I assumed it was included in the Chilli Pack, but it isn't:(

I think I got CBC mixed up with DSC....:confused:

I am not too sure what the difference is to be honest:rolleyes:

With regards the ASC+T, the way I look at it you can't put a price on safety....and it is only a £100...nothing:)

LMB:D

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Isn't it EBC not CBC?? Electonic Braking Distribution or something...

DSC is Dynamic Stability Control...

EBC just helps stabilise the car through braking at different levels per wheel and DSC does the same through applying power at different levels independently to each wheel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure this has been discussed on a previous thread, but in my understanding...

EBD - Electronic Brakeforce Distribution - delivers the braking force to the wheels that can currently cope.

ASC+T - Basically a fancy name for good old fashioned traction control - nothing more nothing less

DSC - as per 3 series - needs something to measure yaw control and cuts power to wheels to ensure you stay on the road when attacking bends too hard or skidding. Doesn't appear to be on the Mini options list at all or a standard fit - I'm quite happy to be corrected though.

CBC - cornering brake control - believe this is standard, according to the brochure, but not sure how it differs from EBD and/or ASC, but I don't think this is the full blown DSC stability control

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Had my Coop a couple of weeks now and i'm v.glad that i ordered it with traction control. Really helps in the wet, going round sharp bends/junctions in slightly icey conditions and moving swiftly away without wheelspin from roundabouts. :D

Recommended - and at the very least you get a yellow flashing light to tell you that you're having FUN!!

Also If you're weighing up whether to get the Chili pack or not, well i would (and i did!). Mucho sporto!

Maccy

P.S Had a great drive home today - sun out, crisp December weather, lodsa B roads and more importantly - NO TRAFFIC!!!!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
ste1234 said:
CBC - cornering brake control - believe this is standard, according to the brochure, but not sure how it differs from EBD and/or ASC, but I don't think this is the full blown DSC stability control
Cheers for clarifying that for me I think I get it:rolleyes:

Not too sure either how EBD differs from DSC:confused:

But DSC is an option; I picked up a snazzy brochure from my dealer the other day, big plastic number, not the cheap paper thing, that’s rubbish.

It is more comprehensive as to what it available..as an example I am getting 17" wheels on my Cooper, they are not mentioned as an option in the paper brochure but are in the plastic one.

Basically they are not keeping their option list up to date, so really quite confusing to know what is available. Basically grab all the info you can.

·
Chumpion
14 Posts
Originally posted by LMB
Basically they are not keeping their option list up to date, so really quite confusing to know what is available. Basically grab all the info you can.
New options are arriving all the time so the brochure is soon out of date.

On a Cooper DSC is £310 and is available from January production.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MaccyGeezer said:
Hi
Recommended - and at the very least you get a yellow flashing light to tell you that you're having FUN!!
If you're going round a bend and the yellow light ain't flashing your not driving it hard enough. But then if you feel like a real maniac turn it off and drive through the seat of your pants - something I think the mini excels at...

It's a £100 - sure you won't get your money back at resale - but I think the mini's the sort of car where you should let your heart rule and buy the car you want. (Obviously without losing your home though.:) )

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another pointer and my view

This thread has some info about DSC but the same applies to ASC+T

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3246

I've got ASC+T on my cooper and I think it's one of the best options I added. I've got the Chilli pack, I'm an enthusiastic driver and the yellow light is quite active. I think some of this is due to 16inch wheels, SSP and poor road surfaces in my area. The wheels loose traction cos they are bouncing over bumps and ruts in the road. ASC+T smoothes things out and saves your tyres.

When I'm pushing hard ASC can be very active in both wet and dry. In the wet I leave it on all the time, in the dry I often turn it off. I have a couple of favourite bends where it's safe to let the front run a little wide (understeer) and is actually a quicker approach. ASC trys to stop this and you get what feels like a flat spot in the power band (throttle is on the floor but no more power is comming as the yellow light flashes). This slows your exit from the turn and actually feels less stable (front wheel drive cars like to be pulled through a turn). Turn ASC off and the power is available to pull you through. It understeers a bit but smiling is good for your complextion !!

·
Registered
529 Posts
My dealer told me 'i could have DSC but it is expensive and ASC+T can't really be improved upon on a small car like a MINI!'

So I left it with just ASC+T

·
Registered
121 Posts
ste1234 said:
Re: ASC+T worthwhile ?
YES YES YES YES YES YES!!! Worth every penny for all the above reasons, but the best benefit is you just floor it out of corners and hang on, when it has the traction it winds up the power, the best ASC+T I have ever driven.

Dave
:D

·
Registered
464 Posts
a must option, my brothers got it on his Z3 it handles like its on rails even with that big front end, so imagine what it does for a car that already handles brilliantly!!! DSC is deffinalty OTT...

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I think this call's for a POLL what d'ya think the answers i could put up are? my idea was:

What have you got?
1) DSC
2) ASC
3) ASC but want DSC
4) Nothing
5) Nothing but want ASC
6) Nothing but want DSC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts