MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test driven a Cooper with 17" wheels and all the other standard features plus the sports suspension plus. How much difference does the ASC+T make? I'm 95% sure I will add it to my spec but I just need some existing drivers advice.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
ScottyHP said:
I have test driven a Cooper with 17" wheels and all the other standard features plus the sports suspension plus. How much difference does the ASC+T make? I'm 95% sure I will add it to my spec but I just need some existing drivers advice.
Please SEARCH for more info on this!!

:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
hmmm... some of us will actually provide you with an owners view, (and save you having to ferret out an answer by searching - which will throw up thousands of posts. Mostly useless).

I have a Cooper Chilli (16" wheels) with ASC+T. I have only seen the light appear when pulling away sharply on greasy roads. There is so much grip with the 16" wheels that breaking traction is difficult. You will obviously have more with 17's.

The main advantage to having it though is to avoid the blanked off toggle switch, which would just be a constant irritation... One thought, why not go for DSC instead? It'll help sort you out if you get the car seriously out of shape.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Crashandburn said:
hmmm... some of us will actually provide you with an owners view, (and save you having to ferret out an answer by searching - which will throw up thousands of posts. Mostly useless).
Ooooh.

Well, I remember that all of this has been discussed before, and to avoid using up precious server space, I think it best that old threads are searched for. There is a wealth of information out there, you just have to look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Cooper Chilli (16" wheels) with ASC+T. I have only seen the light appear when pulling away sharply on greasy roads. There is so much grip with the 16" wheels that breaking traction is difficult. You will obviously have more with 17's.
I find that the grip from the 16" wheels is the complete opposite, traction in the wet is particularly poor making the ASC+T an absolute necessity.

I'm convinced the MINI wearing 195's is completely over-tyred having driven a MINI One courtesy car in the wet with the standard 175's and finding that it 'hung on' a lot better.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
My dealer said if your getting 17's get traction control you'll need it! For instance when your driving over a bumpy surface on 16's or 17's you'll be glad you had it.

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
GET ASC+T......its really good, wel for the amount of time I had my last mini for.

Anyways, I'll tell I could feel it when going round corners hard, you can actually fell the ASC working, it kinda cuts the power to individuals wheels to get traction.

I saw the light turn on loads!

Its a must, it will allow you to hit corners faster, plus you won't have the toggle switch missing, and if you feel like abit of fun, you can turn it off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Asc-t is a must in the wet purely as a safety feature. in the dry however it can cut power when you don't want it to and as a result you end up being a lot slower through some corners when you are on the edge of grip. I found it especially diconcerting when i managed to get the airbourne as it cut the power and when i landed it slowed completey unexpectadly. Having said that getting the car airbourne is not a commom occurance by any means. Its very useful but what is more useful is you can switch it off.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monsta, I understand where your coming from but I looked at the other threads first and the info wasn't really useful as I wanted users opnions on ASC+T not just whether they were getting it or not, but point taken about the search. Cheers every one else for their info It's helped make my mind up plus I didn't realise/notice that there was a switch missing, I just assumed there would be a dummy one so Im glad I ordered it now!

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Sorry if I seemed a little hostile in my post, but even though new information is being given here, it would be better to add it to existing threads so that others can search easier as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem Monsta, But if I post to an old thread will people only be able to check the new posts through search or will the thread become active again and listed in new posts? Sorry if thats a stupid question but Im still new to having a search facility!

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
If you post to an old thread it will then become active again and will be visible in the 'search for new posts' section.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my opinion with 16in wheels definitely go for the ASC or DSC (Can't comment on the other configuration of wheels). It helps with pulling away in less than ideal conditions, just giving enough intervention to allow the wheels to grip again. Also when driving quickly around round-a-bouts in the wet, it will allow you take outrageous liberties. Trust me, Been there , Done it.

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Hmmm, I've been considering the DSC will it be avaliabel by Mayish Juneish time?

£310.....dunno quite a bit isn't it, but then again its meant to be very advanced, added safety for drivers?

Tempting isn't it, I dunno, better check some thread on this subject of the DSC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts