MINI Cooper Forum banner

Astro Black

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  kimd 
#1 ·
Since pictures don't do this color justice, and since my dealer doesn't have any Astro Black in, I would like to know whether I should get this over just plain Black. Try your best to describe it or if possible, maybe you have a really god picture of it, because I'd like to know a little more about it.

#6 ·
I haven't seen it in person, but it looks a lot like Cosmos Black with a slight dark blue hue depending on the lighting. Solid/Jet Black has more depth and is stunning when clean. Metallic blacks never look as good, but when dusty or dirty don't look as bad as solid black. Scratches or swirls tend to look worse on solids, especially dark colors.

#8 ·
If solid and jet black are the same thing (I've only seen a car labeled with jet black), that's a very nice color too--but it shows dirt, and even fingerprints, like you wouldn't believe. If washing your car frequently isn't a problem for you, it's a great color though. I like the astro black better, but jet black is great too.

#9 ·
if it's anything like audi's volcano black i'd be wary of it, especially wouldn't want to pick it unseen. to me, these colours tend to look like a constantly dirty flat black, like you wanna go up and wipe off the dust. again, that's judging from the audi colour, not MINI which i haven't seen.

#11 ·
Don't get black if you don't want to clean your car regularly.
Silver or gray might be better for you.
That said, Jet/Solid Black really is a beautiful, deep black that makes you want to keep it clean. Sounds silly, but I like the honesty/purity of it. It's simply black, through and through without other shades or metal bits.

#16 ·
Astro black is not quite as blue as carbon black in my opinion - the dealer told me they were the same until my car arrived and when I tried to do a direct comparison he said they were pretty similar....

I love astro black myself as does my wife - there have been other discussions on here saying that the non-metalic black is a slightly softer paint and scratches a little more easily. I'll post some pics of my astro black MCC that kind of show it (next to the black A-pillars) - just need to reduce them before I upload.

#17 ·
Astro black pics

Not sure if this helps but you can see the difference between the black trim/A-pillars/roof and Astro black. The colour you perceive depends a lot on lighting and what is being reflected (so in the picture of the boot you can see labrador coloured astro black!). It's a really difficult paint to photograph.. but fantastic in the flesh...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.