MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just purchased a 2005 MC-S and I have a question regarding xenon headlamps. When I hit bumps or irregularities in the roads, the Xenons flicker really fast. Is that normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
"Flickering" is not normal. Probably should have it looked in to by your service dept.

If it's just "shaking" as you go over bumps... well that is normal. With the focused beams having a more noticeable illumination line it is much easier to see how bumps effect the direction of the light beam.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what I meant. It doesn't turn on/off really fast but it shakes which I thought it flickers. But now that you says if it "shakes", then I guess I'm ok.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
the xenon lamp piece is self-levelling, so as you go over a bump & the car's attitude changes, the bulb tries to stay level

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hat said:
the xenon lamp piece is self-levelling, so as you go over a bump & the car's attitude changes, the bulb tries to stay level
But only to a degree. They are limited on movement and aren't as fast in doing so then say a BMW 5 series. As much as I hate to say it... it's kind of a cheaper, lower grade version they installed on the Mini's. The self leveling feature has never preformed very well on my car or any other Mini I've known.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Self-leveling prevents blinding oncoming cars

fadec said:
But only to a degree. They are limited on movement and aren't as fast in doing so then say a BMW 5 series. As much as I hate to say it... it's kind of a cheaper, lower grade version they installed on the Mini's. The self leveling feature has never preformed very well on my car or any other Mini I've known.
As I understand it, the self-leveling isn't designed to react to changes in the road (bumps and such) but to changes in the car (weight distribution). So the xenons will be aimed correctly whether your 300 lb buddy is in the back seat or not.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have never noticed shaking or flickering of the xenon headlights on my 02 car. I would think it would be worth mentioning this at your next service visit. Even on rough roads mine seem perfectly still.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Ya get it checked out... unless you mean it shakes with respect to the car... as in the bump made your whole car move up one inch and the headlights also moved up one inch...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've experienced the same flickering/shaking as mace has (05 MCS). It seems as if the beam on the ground moves like a rather loose object mounted on the shaking car. Doesn't have a very quality feeling to it. :mad:

The leveling however reacts a bit slower and is basically working on bigger bumps only.

I think when you're going really fast at night and the surface is not 100% even, everybody who sees you in his rear view mirror will be properly frightened. :D

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
cooper4me said:
I think when you're going really fast at night and the surface is not 100% even, everybody who sees you in his rear view mirror will be properly frightened. :D
Hahahahahahaahah :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it gives me a feeling that there is a loose power connection when I hit bumps or small potholes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
@mace: you mean yours is really going on-off-on. I'm pretty sure mine are just moving/vibrating up and down.

@ebmc..: When I first noticed this, it was actually me who was frightened :confused: It does make people move out of my way though :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.