MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if you can get a standard audio input sorted on the single cd player. I want to try and connect one of those portable mp3 jukeboxes?

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
I\'m pretty sure this is impossible i\'m sorry to say. the only way to input from a tape deck is by using a tape adapter cable so i can\'t see a way at all using a cd deck...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does the slot loading CD have inputs for a CD changer? If so you could maybe get an adaptor for this?

I am wanting to fit an in-car MP3 player and do not reallly want to replace the BMW system

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. There\'s a connector for a changer in the boot, but i\'m not sure what comes out the back of the player itself?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
At the back of the head unit there is a similar white plug that goes into the back of the unit. (Below the normal power and speaker connections)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. i\'ll see if i can get it to work and let you know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I\'m definitely interested in this.

I\'ve got the Wave Radio, and as there\'s a wire in the boot that can take an audio input for the CD changer, surely this wire must end up at the head unit. I\'m thinking of diverting that wire to end up in a plug to go into my Rio Volt MP3 player.

What could go wrong: Well not being an ICE expert, what is the expected audio level for the CD changer input? Will I get audio that is too quiet or overloud and distorted?

I\'m going to try wiring my Rio Volt into the wire in the boot first, just to see if it works.

If this does, I\'ll be using gazzaman\'s instructions to pull the head unit out and sneak a new wire in!

·
Registered
25 Posts
MP3 Player

Has any one had any luck yet installing an mp3 player into the mini, if have a single slot minidisk installed so can't use the tape method

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a look at the two connectors in the boot, and I haven't worked out what they are yet.

One has three pins, the other six.

By a process of deduction, there has to be at least these things:

1. GND
2. +12V
3. Audio Ground (although there could be a left ground and right ground)
4. Left Audio
5. Right Audio
Other pins: Control e.g. disk 1-6, FF, REW.

The first thing I need to know is how to tell the radio that there is a CD player attached, so the MODE button will switch to CD.

I hope its as simple as connecting one of the control pins to GND or +12V, although with much of the wiring being like a computer "bus" - it could be some hopelessly complex sequence of pulses.

I'm not willing to start probing around with these until I know which pin is which!

Does anyone have any ideas how I would find this out. For example, if someone owns an autochanger, does it have a pinout diagram in the manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm determined to get this working!!

I've just sent a mail to
Electronic City Wholesale
to see if they can find me an adapter for replacing the autochanger lead.

I hope I don't just get a "Huh?" back!!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 25 November 2001 15:28
To: [email protected]
Subject: New MINI - autochanger adapter

Hello,

I have a new-shape MINI which I wish to connect a MP3 jukebox to. I don't want to change the head unit as I think I would be lucky if it lasted a week!

I have the Radio WAVE, which I have been informed uses the same audio wiring as the BMW 3-series. It has a lead fitted that runs through to the boot for the optional autochanger.

Do you think you'd be able to supply a connector that fits into the rear of the head unit, in place of the autochanger cable, terminating in a 3.5mm stereo jack?

I don't need any of the control functions, as my MP3 jukebox has its own remote control, but it would need to link whichever pins are required to fool the radio into thinking there's an autochanger connected.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Singfield.

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
I've managed to find an adaptor that may??? do the job. It's a Sony part No.XA107. It allows an audio input onto the Sony Bus input. I haven't found a price yet but still trying.

Out of interest check out www.soundontop.co.uk, it provides details of leads, changers etc.

If anybody gets it working please update us.

Les

·
Registered
164 Posts
Kiiro FM Transmitter

Did your mates brother ever get this ?

Does it broadcast in Stereo ?

How does it perform ?

Is it legal in the UK ?

Thanks in advance.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Amazon have been out of stock on this item for ages, anyone know where else I can get one? It isn't listed on their web site..

:confused:

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Yes but how much is it??!!

P.S. Who said you could nick my MINI logo for your signature??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts