MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been bitterly dissapointed by the stereo in my clubman (expected a lot better for 19K) and ever since I picked her up I have been itching to upgrade the system somehow. I have been following the never ending stereo upgrade thread and it gave me the confidence to have a go.........and wow was it worth it.

I even managed to add the amp without removing the headunit and dash. For this I used the Kenwood KAC 8404 (600 watts) amplifier which has signal sensing turn on when using the speaker level inputs (spliced the cables next to the passenger footwell), Kenwood KFC PS6900 (as used by new ministuff) for the rear and Kenwood KFC S702P components up front with the tweeters mounted in the smaller door speaker pods.

The stereo now set up sounds superb, the amp also has a bass boost function which makes a huge difference and also high pass/low pass and input sensitivity filters. The front door speakers sound fantastic and have great bass without distortion, the rears do not sound as good or give as much bass as the fronts but they are only for fill and possibly need to bed in a little.

The project all in all with dynamat and an amp wiring kit came to just £270.00 and took a day to complete (strip out to set up). Even the strip out wasn't as bad as I thought and it has all gone back without a single rattle or broken clip.

Heres what I installed:
]Kenwood KAC 8404 Amplifier £88
Kenwood KFC PS6900 6x9 Speakers £60
Kenwood KFC S702P 6.5'' components £64
Dynamat £25 (can get from Halfords for £20 I found out after)
8 gauge amp wiring kit £30
Total £267.00

All I can say is massive improvement and well worth the effort.

Reactions: Derepente

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unfortinately I did not take pics while installing (It really did take all day with no breaks, not even to fetch the camera) I will however take some pics of the finished result showing the amp installed under the seat and the speakers through the grilles etc.

I am still amazed by the difference and the amp is superb offering the adjustment needed to make the sound just right.

·
total mini dot com!!!
55 Posts
That's pretty much what I'm going to do - *but* I'll be running the with the feeds reversed (i.e front feeds the rears, so that I get the bass back).

Out of interest, how did you mount the tweeters? - anything needed, or do they fit straight in?

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
I dunno, the days me upgrading my mini speakers are well and truly over. I loved and experienced the HK system in my old mini, which was amazing itself. I just cant stand the rattles that seem to come from doing this kind of work :(

Good on ya tho for taking the plunge, got more balls than i have with my Mini!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dunno, the days me upgrading my mini speakers are well and truly over. I loved and experienced the HK system in my old mini, which was amazing itself. I just cant stand the rattles that seem to come from doing this kind of work :(

Good on ya tho for taking the plunge, got more balls than i have with my Mini!
No rattles, the mini is very well built and because of that goes back together just as it was to begin with.

That's pretty much what I'm going to do - *but* I'll be running the with the feeds reversed (i.e front feeds the rears, so that I get the bass back).

Out of interest, how did you mount the tweeters? - anything needed, or do they fit straight in?
Thats what i did but because I have bass boost on the amp I have used the fronts on the bass boost channel and the rears on the front channel however the components are excellent speakers and are still noticibly better than the 6x9s for clarity and bass.

The tweeters (I cheated a little on this) was going to fabricate a bracket but instead used the existing small speaker (disconnected) popped two holes through the cone and bonded the tweeter to dome of the speaker, therefore it looks pretty standard still like a normal coaxial speaker.

where did you put the amp?
The amp is under the seat, I will take some pics when I get chance but it is hardly visible to be hobest and even when visible looks like it was meant to go there

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way all the speakers I removed were 4 ohm and not 2 ohm as I believed they would be..............making just a speaker upgrade possible too.

·
total mini dot com!!!
55 Posts
Thanks for the update - I guess I'll fabricate some mounts from PVC (or somthing similar).

As for the channel swap, it sounds like you've done exactly what I'm planning (and same amp too!)

No-one has answered my other thread yet, but where did you wire your AMP power to? Straight to the battery, or is there somewhere better?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep straight from the battery, really easy just get under the glove box open the filter housing remove filter and there is an opening the battery, drill a small hole (slightly larger than the cable) so that you can get the cable into the footwell.

I can confirm the amp is excellent and extremelly easy to fit, just test which way the signal is going down the spliced cables since I did it wrong first time and had no sound!

Reactions: Derepente

·
Sparks
1 Posts
installing the amp

can anyone tel me how they connected the amp up. i am confused and weary about what i do as i have been told that if i install an amp it will mess up the on board computer but it obviously hasn't for you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts