MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I put a set of Aussie made King Springs on my Cooper.

RIde height had dropped by about 20mm all round. Ride has certainly stiffened up. Bit early to report much else.

Photos attached.

Chris :) :) :)

Attachments

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

Looks great Chris :D :D

Kings make a good quality product ;)

Do you know what rating they are?

Cheers

Robbo

·
2,756 Posts
Chris,

They look great.

My mate (the one with the SUPER RICE Cooper S) has them installed as well.

From memory, he told me that they were not that expensive.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Springs cost $250. I got some help putting them in.

Let me know if I can help if anyone is after a set.

Chris

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Looks very nice, Chris. I'm afraid my chiro bills would be too excessive to consider such a mod. Let me know how it's going in about a month (or 500 kms, whichever comes first). :D

I'll check them out tomorrow.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Catch you tomorrow Terry...

Im passengering it up with Kev, so see you there!

Todd

·
Registered
689 Posts
Because I am not much of a car techno person could some let me know if there are advantages of installing these springs. I know it lowers the MINI but will it handle better? If so - fantastic. Are they a much cheaper version of the JCW suspension or will the JCW gear make a huge difference???

All these questions and more. :D

Danny

·
Got Deep(ish) Dish!
344 Posts
AussieMini said:
Because I am not much of a car techno person could some let me know if there are advantages of installing these springs. I know it lowers the MINI but will it handle better? If so - fantastic. Are they a much cheaper version of the JCW suspension or will the JCW gear make a huge difference???

All these questions and more. :D

Danny
I have a shiny set of H&R coils on my MCS and they definately make the car handle better with regard to cornering. They are stiffer but even with a load of four people the ride is still quite comfortable. I have heard that Eibach springs are a little more supple than H&R's but the people I have heard say that, have not tried H&R's - I would be surprised if there is that much difference, as the spring qualities are determined by the cars weight properties.
There is one thing to keep in mind though and that is the construction of the spring - the European's tend to make their springs with the "Cold rolling" method, which means the torsion or spring qualities of the steel are not effected as much as "Hot rolling". The extra heat in hot rolling relies more on the "tempering process" than cold rolling. This said the cold rolling also allows the springs to be made of a lighter gauge steel (thinner cross sectional diameter) which means the spring are lighter and therefore the unsprung weight is less which equals even better handling. :) :silver:

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
GOT BUMPSTEER?

hahaha SOMEONE had to say it hahahahahahaha :D

im gonna put my whiteline gear in one day... haha mayb this weekend if i could be bothered

·
10,324 Posts
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Send me those photos Wes!!

You're a nutter!

Todd

·
10,324 Posts
woteffa!

Thanks man... I hope you are still hanging together!!

Todd

·
formerly known as wsw
642 Posts
hey so how r the kings springs going after a couple of months? noticed any difference yet? r u scraping everywhere? is the ride really bumpy now? is the handling any different? i'm trying to decide between kings and eibachs coz i've heard eibachs are the best but kings are almost half the price....so hard decision...

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
wsw

Yeah, it has been a couple of months now. Certainly it's a much stiffer ride. Note that I am running 215/40-17 wheels and tyres - so that also contributes to the stiffer ride. Overall, I am very happy. No scraping at all.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Here's a recent photo.

Chris

·
Registered
799 Posts
Chris,

You'll get to sample an Eibach equiped car on Sunday.....
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts vs the Kings.

KGB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.