MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
After 1 week of ownership, I have found 2 problems with the car.

1. Steering wheel does not point straight. It is a few degrees off to the left.
2. Surging / unintented acceleration when coming to a stop. Basically when slowing down (either with brakes or engine braking) the car in any gear, the car seems to accelerate slightly by itself as the revs drop just below ~1400rpm. Try it on your car and see if it happens.

Are these common problems on Australian delivered cars? Has anyone had these problems fixed by their dealers under warranty? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
This steering wheel issue seems to be common... I have to ask, is it the camber on the road surface, casue mine glides dead straight!!

As for the surge, I'll check later today, but nothing obvious...

Todd

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
Hey Ausmini - get your wheel alignment checked out. I am up for a new set of tyres after 20000kms (was expecting to get twice that) because when I picked up my November 03 build car I thought it was a quirk of the car that it pulled left and didnt have it seen to straight away.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Re: the car pointing to the left, mine does that too and have the alignment plus the tyres checked out - everything's as per factory intended to be. The only excuse I can think of is the nature of the driveshaft length - one length is longer than theother as well as weight distribution (the gearbox is offset mounted) so that's one reason why it's like that. The left tyre does wear out quicker according to the tech I've spoken to.

Once I swapped the rear up to the pointing end, the problem seems to almost disappeared but soon it will come back as the tyre starts to wear again.

Hope that helps :)

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Left Pull

poki and dairyboy,
it might be wheel alignment, if so it should be an easy fix for the dealer, however; do a search of this forum for left pull problems, use the thread tools to take a copy and take the information to your dealer and insist on getting it fixed.
The fix is a complete replacement of the front suspension.

If they tell you "they all do that" or "it's just the camber" they are lying or incompetent.
Take your car to an empty carpark, line it up in a marked bay and drive forwards very slowly across the carpark with your hands off the steering wheel. Does the car pull left? If so turn around and line up in the same set of bays and repeat in the opposite direction.
Does it still pull left? If it pulls left in both directions then it cannot be due to the camber/slope/whateverthedealerispushingtoday.

Get another MINI owner who does not have the left pull problem to take their car along and repeat the test with car in the same carpark.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Under which subforum are those threads in?

One problem with my car though, it's bought as a used car.

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
dairyboy said:
Under which subforum are those threads in?

One problem with my car though, it's bought as a used car.
Faults and Fixes - just search this forum.

Is it still under warranty? If not you might have to live with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not actually pulling to the left.. Its just that the steering wheel is not pointed straight when the car is going straight. It is pointed slightly to the left.

Anyone have problem with issue 2? This is REALLY ANNOYING and potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
AUSMINI said:
Its not actually pulling to the left.. Its just that the steering wheel is not pointed straight when the car is going straight. It is pointed slightly to the left.

Anyone have problem with issue 2? This is REALLY ANNOYING and potentially dangerous.
This is a common problem when having a wheel allignment. If the steering wheel is not exactley centered before you get the problem .Go back to your dealer who can fix it with a wheel allignment!

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Still got about another 2500km worth of warranty left - might try my best to get it sorted before it runs out...

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's just a wheel alignment issue. Take it to somewhere decent when you get the wheel alignment and they will fix it. I can see how it would be really annoying, but potentially dangerous?

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
Believe me, I did my homework. By the time I got it seen to though all the damage was done to my tyres. Given that the car was delivered with the wheels out of alignment and it was 5000kms before I had it seen to because I thought it was more serious than a wheel alignment, my front tyres were shagged after 20000kms

It was definately a wheel alignment problem for me. Got new tyres and a wheel alignment today and the car does not pull left anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
poki
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing