MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the first shot I have seen of the Australian Spec "Central Tacho".

Australian Design Rules have not allowed a central speedo position, and so the 2002 released Australian MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S will be unique in world markets.

As you can see the Speedo and Tacho positions have been reversed.

This picture is reproduced here with the kind permission of Alexander Corne, Editor of "Car News", and is taken from Issue 32.

A larger photo is in my Gallery (and is compressed for fast loading). Higher resolution photo's may become available in the near future.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice one Basil

I would have preferred the standard layout, but I can live with this version happily enough

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rich said:
Nice one Basil

I would have preferred the standard layout, but I can live with this version happily enough
Yes rich, I don't have a problem with it either having now seen it.

On Radar/Speed Camera/Laser infested ozzie roads, the ADR people might actually have done us all a favour.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi,

I much prefer the set-up with the speedo being in front of the driver. I am more likely to want to check my speed than the car revs. In fact I asked our dealer if I could order an Aussie spec machine. (The dealer in question is getting several temporary ex-pat Aussies ordering the car whilst they are in the UK, hence the topic of central speedos came up in conversation).The answer was no. No real reason given. Apparently BMW figures that the minority of people in the UK who prefer the ergonomics of having a speedo in the driver's eyeline, will end up forking out for a SatNav system.

cheers
Marsh

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marsh said:
Hi,

I much prefer the set-up with the speedo being in front of the driver. I am more likely to want to check my speed than the car revs. In fact I asked our dealer if I could order an Aussie spec machine. (The dealer in question is getting several temporary ex-pat Aussies ordering the car whilst they are in the UK, hence the topic of central speedos came up in conversation).The answer was no. No real reason given. Apparently BMW figures that the minority of people in the UK who prefer the ergonomics of having a speedo in the driver's eyeline, will end up forking out for a SatNav system.

cheers
Marsh
I'm sorry you couldn't get one. Purists of the original Mini won't like it, but it's not one of ADR's worst decisions in my view. They let the car in WITHOUT a spare wheel. Not a good idea in Australia, but you can't have everything.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi Oz Guys

Got some good and bad news. ADR 18 is the design rule that stops us having a center speedo. But this rule is getting reviewed. The outcome will be a more relax rule inline with world wide standards. So is BMW au may have the option to change the current config went ADR is changed in about one years time.

You will also note from the picture that the high beam and turning indicator is also moved to above the steering wheel for the same reason. Under ADR 18 the speedo turning and High beam indicator must be located beween 30 degree left and 20 degree right of the drivers vision.

snoopy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snoopy said:
Hi Oz Guys

Got some good and bad news. ADR 18 is the design rule that stops us having a center speedo. But this rule is getting reviewed. The outcome will be a more relax rule inline with world wide standards. So is BMW au may have the option to change the current config went ADR is changed in about one years time.

You will also note from the picture that the high beam and turning indicator is also moved to above the steering wheel for the same reason. Under ADR 18 the speedo turning and High beam indicator must be located beween 30 degree left and 20 degree right of the drivers vision.

snoopy
thanks for that, oh well makes the first Oz Coopers and S's even more unique.

PS. they've missed the wood for the trees leaving the indicator stalk on the left hand side, when non european cars have had them on the right for at least the 14 years I've been here.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snoopy has kindly supplied the attached picture which shows another view of the Central Tacho for Australian registered Vehicles.

Of note, at least two other vehicles sold in Australia appear to have bypassed ADR regulations that have hit the MINI.

Toyota's "Echo" (Badged Yaris in Europe and UK) and Nissan's X-Trail 4WD both have central instrument pods with a Speedo sitting slightly angled towards the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Toyota asked for ARD 18 to be changed back in 1998. It was that is the reason it is 30 degree to the left. Before the change to the ADR in 1998 it was 20 degree left and right.

Why did not BMW (au) ask for it to be changed for the mini?
BMW (au) know of the review of ADR 18 and the probable outcome of the review will be a adoption of the European Std. This review will take about a year to complete.

Snoopy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
snoopy said:
Toyota asked for ARD 18 to be changed back in 1998. It was that is the reason it is 30 degree to the left. Before the change to the ADR in 1998 it was 20 degree left and right.

Why did not BMW (au) ask for it to be changed for the mini?
BMW (au) know of the review of ADR 18 and the probable outcome of the review will be a adoption of the European Std. This review will take about a year to complete.

Snoopy
Thanks for that insight Snoopy, I'd say you have become the resident Australian ADR expert for Mini2.com.

I still am of the view that at the very least it makes Australian MINI's unique in the world market, and however much you hate the Central Tacho, that can't be a bad thing.

Cheers, and thanks again for the photo, From the Sydney Motor Show if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Let's big up the cental Aussie tacho

Basil said:

Thanks for that insight Snoopy, I'd say you have become the resident Australian ADR expert for Mini2.com.

I still am of the view that at the very least it makes Australian MINI's unique in the world market, and however much you hate the Central Tacho, that can't be a bad thing.

Cheers, and thanks again for the photo, From the Sydney Motor Show if i remember correctly.
...Never mind the location, feel the width:cool:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
New Shot's

Snoopy has very kindly forwarded to me two more shots of the Australian Specification Tacho and Speedo.

Note eltel that I had another look at the tacho size of the Cooper and it's the same size, if not a little bit bigger than the speedo in my Forester. I think it just looks small compared to the center Gauge which as rich points out is HUGE!!!! :)

The Ozzie Speedo.......

:D

The Tacho.........

thanks again to snoopy for these pictures.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
These pics illustrate the absurdity of the situation where ADR stipulate line-of-sight on the speedo... That mega-tacho is going to be much more eye-catching to the driver than the central speedo IMO

I can live with the look (maybe even learn to like it), but the stupidity of the ruling does irritate:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Rich

What I found was the speedo and dial printing were to small. I had to look at the speedo not glance at it. But at the same time I had to remind myself to look to the centre of the dash for the RPM.

So in the long run I don't know with one I favour,centre speedo or RPM.

Also I found the streeing wheel blocked out the top of the speedo.

Snoopy

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Excellent Excellent photos Snoopy.

The speedo is still going to make it difficult to control one's speed (what the hey, driving an 'S' it's going to be difficult anyway).

My AU Fairmont (good riddance, I say) has 5 kph divisions so it makes sitting on 105 a lot easier than it may be in the 'S'.

Cruise control may be necessary for touring.

Regards, ElTel

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Another shot from snoopy

Basil said:
Here's another shot for the converted. Note the needle position !!!

:)
So, the car is idling at 800rpm or so, yeah?

You're point is that it's being driven, rather than parked???

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
snoopy said:
That's right rich it is being driven.:D
Grrrrr!:mad:

Nice one Snoopy;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so that red light that's on at the top of the tacho......thats the airbag light correct ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts