MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 CVT Cooper. I have the Auto A/C system. And, of course, the A/C really affects the car's performance. My question is, is it the same for the manual A/C? Does it affect performance same as the Auto A/C?

Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The manual a/c doesn't affect the performance in most driving conditions. To listen to some people on here it's like dragging a skip full of concrete around though...:)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The A/C compressor, which does the power robbing, is the same on manual and automatic HVACs. The difference is in manual it is easy to turn it off while on automatic it is not so easy to do (some say it is on all the time). So 'tossing the cinder blocks' is at least easier on the manual.

Harry

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have had both manual and auto,
manual on my cooper, and it was great. The auto i have on my S is a pain. it's harder to control and it is more expendsive.
I have ordered manual A/C on my MCSC that i have on order, and spent the difference between the two on heated seats.
I see it this way, I will not be usin the A/C all that much in the summer, as i will have the roof down, but you can't have a car now-a-day without it.
I also think that heated seats are a must on a drop top after having tried them on the dealers demo! MANUAL IS THE WAY AHEAD IMHO!

·
Registered
507 Posts
In the low rev range switching on the manual A/C is like switching off two cylinders. I have also noticed differences in performance caused by the A/C on other cars. But it´s worst on the MCS. I mostly switch it on when driving quite fast like on the autobahn because you can´t open a window then and the engine is producing more power so the constant power loss isn´t noticable to the same amount like in city traffic.

Klaus

·
Registered
362 Posts
HarryIndiBlue said:
The A/C compressor, which does the power robbing, is the same on manual and automatic HVACs. The difference is in manual it is easy to turn it off while on automatic it is not so easy to do (some say it is on all the time). So 'tossing the cinder blocks' is at least easier on the manual.

Harry
On the auto aircon it is just one button to turn off the aircon. It is the button below the auto one, and the light comes on when the aircon is on.

Pressing the auto button will turn on the aircon. It lights the aircon light to show you that it has done so. It is easier to understand than other cars that have an Econ light which means that the aircon is off.

The auto aircon seems to work very well. We don't regret specifying it on ours. On all cars, the temperature control is done by how much waste heat from the engine is added, while the aircon compressor runs flat out whenever the driver turns it on, so auto aircon is really auto control of temperature with the driver deciding whether cooling is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Malin Dixon said:
... so auto aircon is really auto control of temperature with the driver deciding whether cooling is needed.

Does the auto air function as auto climate control, meaning does it work with the heater also or is it purely an air conditioner thing? I think it would be much more worth it if it functioned during the winter to keep the car a nice 76 without having to futs with the fan and temp settings.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gee, there are a lot of misconceptions about air conditioners in cars!

First, the air conditioner compressor has a clutch, which is electronicslly controlled. When the air conditioner does not need cooling of the air, the clutch is released so there is no engine drag - it is not "on all the time." This is to improve average gas mileage by minimizing load. Turning on the automatic climate control does not automatically engage the compressor unless cooling is needed.

The auto air conditioner IS an automatic climate control system. There is a temperature that you set, and the system will put out heat or coolness to make the inside of the car match that temperature. Unlike a lot of premium vehicles, there is only one "zone" but there are two sensors for car interior temperature.

Turning the system off in my car is very easy. Just hit the fan speed lower button until the temp light goes off and the system is shut down. Takes a second.

I think the auto system looks better, takes less time away from your driving attention, and is easier to run the defroster feature. As part of the premium package, it is not all that expensive to add it in the U.S.

If you are in a hot climate, I think that the auto system probably makes life easier - just set it and forget it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts