MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know, what do I expect ordering an auto? But back problems and London traffic have forced my hand. All you auto owners out there (and manual owners for that matter), does anyone have actual performance figures for the CVT Cooper? It certainly went well during the test drives but I'd like to know anyway!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
CVT Performance

I am returning about 30mpg around town and find the auto a joy to drive. The SD mode (sports) has more response when you need that little more power. Manual step changes take a while to get used to.(but fun to drive)

More info: search for Steptronic first impressions. This should give you a little more information.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I get 32 mpg driving carefully combined is supposed to be 36.7 would definatley recommend. The 0-60 is about 10 seconds but pulling aways you wouldn't notice the difference with a manual its quick and seems to make better use of torque and thus pulling away at lights.

James

·
Registered
39 Posts
How does the steptronic work on the Mini Cooper? Is it a H gate layout? Or is it like a sequencial gearbox, up and down?

From a post by someone, he say the tachometer won't be neccessary for the steptronic. If you want optimum performance from the steptronic, won't you need the tachnometer to see what rpms to shift. Besides the clutch from a manual, how different is the steptronic from the standard manual?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
There is a review of CVT MINI in this weeks AUTOCAR. They didnt like it much :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does autocar have a website for that review? Or is it on television?

If it's on television, what did autocar say about the cvt on the Mini Cooper?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
None of the car magazines think much of it. But if you are thinking of it just drive it as you won't be dissapointed. Journalists always prefer manual and don't give auto a fair chance but the average driver will really enjoy it. Sure if you want to cain a car buy a manual. But you will be dissapointed if you don't test it first. It is a straight gate up and down not H gate by the way.

James

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a test-drive in a CVT, found it very strange compared to other semi-boxes I have driven in the past, for me it was all noise and no go, I am sure the 0-60 time are probably slower than stated rather then the manual which is quicker than stated.

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
How do you operate a straight gate on a Mini Cooper? I can picture shifting up a gear by pushing the knob down from + to -, but how do you unshift down to a lower geawr or back to drive from gear 6, 5, 4, 4, or 2? Or you won't have to because the cvt gearbox recognize the speed that you're traveling then will lower the gears once the speed hits below a certain gear?

·
Registered
121 Posts
onLOoker said:
Or you won't have to because the cvt gearbox recognize the speed that you're traveling then will lower the gears once the speed hits below a certain gear?
That's correct or you just pull the gear towards - and it will downshift.

Dave

·
Registered
323 Posts
I dropped my Cooper off at the garage this morning, they're doing some service changes, and i got a replacement Mini One CVT Auto. It's totally different to the manual, not much guts in it, although it is quite smooth. I would imagine if you're stuck in loads of traffic, or live in London, then it is really easy to get along with, havin said that i wouldnt swap my manual for anything :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts