MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my mini a couple of months ago, but after having problems with the previous owner (long story), I now need to work out some costs.
The prices I have needed to find are for air-con, factory and retro fit and for the auto dim mirror. I have found the air-con prices, and I think the auto-dim mirror is currently 105 as an option.
Does anyone have any ideas as to the cost of an retro fitting an auto dim mirror?

Many thanks

Laura

·
Registered
382 Posts
You'd have to ask your local Mini dealer how much to fit it.

It just replaces the existing mirror, and I believe it is just bonded to the windscreen as the normal mirror is.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Auto dip mirror is circa £140 plus VAT from a dealer - Check with Chris at Woodmans for actual MINI 2 cost and availability.

Fitting takes a max of 10 mins and is an easy DIY job provided that the wiring is already in place.
Removal of existing mirror
Remove plastic trim from mirror stem
Grab mirror and twist base aniticlockwise by 90 deg - mirror will now basiaclly fall off, remove wiring connector.
Install new mirror - wiring connector first (tuck it into the mirror stem)
Mount mirror to base at 90 deg to normal, twist clockwise 90 degrees, check mirror has engaged in base by gentely pulling down, attch the 2 plastic trims.

Job done

·
Registered
55 Posts
i just went to do this, i took of the original, but can't find the conector to plug the new mirror into, any one know where it maybe hiding, i can be abit blind sometimes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Auto Dim Mirror - What is it supposed to do?!

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum and mini ownership. Sadly, this is not a happy experience :mad:

I bought the car 2 weeks ago this Saturday. I bought her on the understanding that the rear view mirror would automatically dim if I was 'dazzled' from the rear (ooo-err..) Being photosensitive this was a big selling point for me.

On the first night the mirror seemed to go green a little bit if I was dazzled. It hasn't worked since. I booked her in to my local approved mini dealership. On first explaining the problem they claimed never to have heard of this mirror. This scared me.

They took her in yesterday and couldn't find a fault. Have I completely wasted my money on this feature? Can anyone out there tell me how it is SUPPOSED to work as mini themselves don't seem to have a clue.

Any help very gratefully received :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's a small (5mm diameter) light sensor under the mirror. If you turn the ignition on and shine a torch at it you should see the mirrror darken (if it's working).

·
Registered
195 Posts
does ur mirror have a black spot at the top of the mirrors face, if it does its photosensitive i believe.... if not ull have to twist the round nobbly bit below it left or right n it'll manually dim it. strange how a dealer has never heard of it tho!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Auto dim

Thank you for your replies. It does have a sensor under the light. The mirror goes green if you shine a torch at it, but doesn't work if a car shines it's headlights directly into it. I'm stumped :confused: Will have to see if the dealership can (pardon the pun) shed any light on it tomorrow as she is going in for a night time test in real conditions. I just wanted to know that I wasn't going mad and that it was supposed to work. Now I am more informed than the dealership :aargh:

I think the manual version is looking like a better option!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Alternativly, have the rear window tinted. I just had the rear three windows in my MINI tinted at thinkmini near Worcester. No more dazzle from behind. I found the auto dimming mirror didnt always dim as much as a liked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts