MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Marv the Mini
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm looking to find out if this is a common fault with R56 Mini's. Durning the last week the Auto Engine Stop (at lights etc...) has stopped switching the engine off when i stop.

It doesn't happen every time, but i have noticed it only seems not to work when it is very cold, around 1 / 2 degrees.

Gonna get it back yo the dealership but i just want to know if its a normal problem?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Won't work either for at least 30 minutes urban traffic when using a lot of electric power during the first 10 minutes of your journey, e.g. for heating your bottom, your windscreen, the exterior mirrors and the rear window.

So, all OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is designed not to work if the engine is cold, or if the battery is in need of charge. I would switch it off anyway if you've got any intention of keeping the car for the long term, as it will knacker the starter motor (I know this because there was talk of replacing starter motors during servicing when BMW were developing this technology).

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is designed not to work if the engine is cold
Yes it does as many on here have commented. I drive out my driveway in the morning and stop at a set of lights 50 yards down the road and provided all the other criteria are met (ambient temp, battery, heater, A/C, etc) is stops and starts just fine.

·
Confused By Certain Users
9,613 Posts
It is designed not to work if the engine is cold, or if the battery is in need of charge. I would switch it off anyway if you've got any intention of keeping the car for the long term, as it will knacker the starter motor (I know this because there was talk of replacing starter motors during servicing when BMW were developing this technology).
I thought they were using more robust starter motors in the cars, so they can handle the stop/start? :confused:

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
My stopstart didn't work for about a month ,I mentioned it when I took it in for some other warranty work. They said it needs to fill certain criteria, they told me what I already knew from reading the manual, i know it needs to be above three degrees and that the engine has to be warm but they told me on investigation that the battery wasn't fully charged and asked if I did lots of short journeys. I do four three mile journeys to and from work a day in the week. For the most part it is smooth and not stop start (forgive the pun) and usually it doesn't need to stop.But i noticed on longer journeys well after the car should be warm it still wasn't happening. Now I understand that the battery needs to be charged fully but I thought it wouldn't stop if it wasn't , so during the course of a month should I accept that it was normal not to stop at all.
It was fine for the first 12 months which suggests to me that maybe the battery is suspect ( Oh joy theres a nice little bill) .
I have had the loan of a Dooper recently and that did it a hell of a lot more than mine ever has.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I still absolutly HATE the system, I just really do not trust it after my Doopers antics :rolleyes: Luckily on the S and all the courtesy cars ive had since then, its worked fine, but I do find myself keeping it in gear and foot on the clutch to stop it from cutting out (can never remember to turn the damn system off!) :hmph:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts