Hey guys

Just considering an 05 reg JCW S with auto box and paddle shift

Is there a noticeable change in gearing (in a bad way) or is it very subtle

Also whats your views on an auto JCW

cheers

·
Young at heart
99 Posts
Hi, I've recently bought a MCSa and although it wasn't my first choice I'm really pleased with it.
It all depends on what you want from the car.

As for me, I want to be able to pootle about in traffic without having all that clutch work to do but still have the flexibility of a full manual when I want it. In manual mode with the paddles it changes gear faster than the std manual box and you never have to take your hand off the wheel which is great.

Approach a roundabout in 4th, 2 presses of either thumb and you're in 2nd ready to blast round it.

Accelerating hard just keep pulling on the rear paddle to change up when you feel like it. No need to take your foot of the accelerator:D

I've not owned any Mini's prior to this so I can't compare to a std manual box I'm afraid, but it seems plenty fast enough. I'm sure there will be some slight gearing differences between a 6-speed man and the 6-speed auto but I can't comment on that.

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate
are problem with the auto's around the 60-80k mark mileage wise?

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
My thoughts on a stock MCSa, 2005 build owned from new:

Good points

No clutch whicxh is great for pootling around town (most of my driving)
Faster changes than a stick once warmed up.
Auto change down when slowing down (no need to change down when you come to a full stop)
Forced change down when hammering in full Auto mode.
Auto change up when at rev limit so no chance of over-revving.

Bad points

Horridly slow changes when engine/tranny is cold
Full Auto holds on to gears for a tad too long (but you can still use paddles in full Auto)
No forced change down in Sports mode which I find bizarre.
ECU can pre-empt your change down and you end up changing down 2 gears instead of 1
Feels quite antiquated in comparison to a DSG box

I don't know if the JCW has a new map but my one has some horrible flat spots on the map.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts