MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whether this is interior or exterior but here goes. Is there a way to close the windows of the car from the key without taking the metal keybit out and holding it in the lock? As I can do this on a few old BMW's I have here and my VW Golf but not on the Mini. However the windows open when holding the unlock button on the key. And the one touch system to close the windows does not open when the doors are open, is this normal?

Thanks,
Troy.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yes normal. MINIs windows don't close automatically unless you use the key in the lock. Mikey at New MINI Stuff can modify your key so it does this. Look here:

NewMINIStuff.com

Actually I think thats only for the first generation and Convertible. Mikey should be able to answer your question though.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I kind of wanted to have to hold the button down, as I tend to leave my windows open in my driveway, stops the car getting stuffy!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Think there is no sensor on the passenger side to detect fingers etc getting trapped so they don't offer that feature. If I remember correctly no Auto up on passenger side also...

...though...i am liable to be mistaken.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you could be mistaken, as my passengers side window is auto up but only when the door is closed, as with the drivers side.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read something somewhere that they used to be how you described but after a certain date they had a trap detector on the passengers side too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i haven't investigated yet so NFI if this is possible.

If the hold physical key in door lock feature outputs on its own wire so there is a wind up wire already in the car i thought perhaps we could use the boot release trigger. To be honest i dont see much of a point to a boot release when you unlock the car and simple press the button under the boot will also release the boot. So if you can intercept the stock boot release from key fob wire and put it into the wind up wire ...

As i said NFI if it will work but if these are still old school seperate wires might be able to make it happen with the trade off being to open the boot you need to press unlock for the car then just press the catch. Does anyone have wiring diagrams for these?

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you saying what I think you are, effectively total closure from the boot release button replacing that feature, then that would be perfect. I don't know the electrical side of it but know that it can be done on other cars, lets just hope the Mini ECU isn't too difficult to work with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dont want to get your hopes up the thing i really need to do is look inside the drivers door and see how many wires come from the key mechanism and test them, to be honest thats the biggest guess i have made in this. would really really love wiring diagrams but can't seem to find them on the net.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm sure someone on this forum must have wiring diagrams. Mikey would be the best bet seeing as he does a lot of electrical stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can the 2007 R56 have the auto up feature enabled? Mine has one touch down but I believe all the parts are the same from the 07 to the 08, so there might be a programing that can enable that feature on the earlier ones.

Stuart

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so here's a fun fact, I had a 3 door BMW 1 Series for a week, and that was able to close the windows by holding the lock button, aswell as folding the mirrors in, and then upon unlock the mirrors unfold and if you held the button down the windows also come down. Now why is BMW starving us Mini owners of these features!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts