MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the possibility of getting another Mini (once I've sold the S4) and I've just found a rather nice looking Cooper S in red, but it's an auto.

Are the auto boxes any good? I've had automatic cars ever since I sold my Cooper S and they've been brilliant, I'm hoping the auto box will be like my old BMW, as that was silky smooth.

Any opinions on these? It's a 2010 with the N18 engine. Are these a bit more reliable than the previous turbo version? My old 2007 Cooper S used to like a drink of oil and needed a walnut blast as the engine was all coked up.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The Aisin autobox is ok but has to be maintained

A little thread i put together https://www.mini2.com/forum/second-generation-mini-cooper-s/320201-aisin-warner-tf-60sn-faults.html

The N18 july 2010 onwards was an improvement on the N14 however they still suffer from carbon coking and a drinking problem

Timing chain tensioner and guides are also still a worry especially if it hasn't been maintained

expect to get through a litre of oil in around 1000mls and it's best to change it every 5-6k

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. We bought an N18 version, with a manual box

Was a nice drive home. I'll miss the sheer power of the S4, but not the running costs.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
mrbubba999
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing