MINI Cooper Forum banner

981 - 987 of 987 Posts

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Good luck Laura, both Fuzzy and I love the MCSa. :) The yellow convertible in my sig is an MCSCa, but of course the GP is manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's been almost a year since I last visited this forum. So I thought I'd look around to see whats goin on in the MCSa world.

Aprilwhine, I see at HRMINI you've sold the GP. What's next?, a Clubman?

Back to automatic transmissions.

I've had my 05 MCSa since April 05. The very day I drove it home, I had to try manual shifting with the wheel mounted paddles. WOW, it worked like a charm ever since. I love it. And I've said before, I truly believe I'm shiftting faster this way then I ever could personally with a stick.

I can't forget to mention however, that there was a glitch in the program that caused the Check Engine light to come on as soon as I tried it for the first time to use this option. I returned to the dealer the very next day, which happened to be a Saturday. They put me in a similar MCSa w/o paddle shifters and proceeded to make the needed adjustments to the "Program". I got my car back the following Monday, and have not had any problems since.

In closing, it's all a matter of personal choice and driving habits. If I'm in alotta traffic, it can't be beat. If I'm out on the open road, the shiftting can be similar to manual shifting, (only quicker, IMO). If your a diehard manual shift kinda Guy or Gal, get the 6-speed manual and have at it. I'll probably see you in the customer service waiting area one day when you'll need that new clutch. Of course I'll just be there to visit with my MA.....:p

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Hey, you don't get to M2 very often, do you? Yes, sold the GP and have a Clubman on order. :nice: The Clubman has the Aisen transmission, I think it will be a great improvement in the Cooper over the CVT.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
In closing, it's all a matter of personal choice and driving habits. If I'm in alotta traffic, it can't be beat. If I'm out on the open road, the shiftting can be similar to manual shifting, (only quicker, IMO). If your a diehard manual shift kinda Guy or Gal, get the 6-speed manual and have at it. I'll probably see you in the customer service waiting area one day when you'll need that new clutch. Of course I'll just be there to visit with my MA.....:p

That or we'll see you at the dealer getting a new automatic transmission. Thats much more costly than a clutch. Holding gears in a auto tranny doesnt make me feel comfortable... seems like the car is straining to keep it in gears because its not really meant to hold gears... I dunno I'm sure its fine... but hey... we have a 10 year old audi that has 144K miles on the original clutch... and my cousin has the same audi, smaller engine with 130K miles also on the original clutch... so we'll see... On the other hand... my dad had a 1992 BMW and the automatic tranny was making some funny noises at 80K miles... he traded it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
19,000+ posts to my meager 5?????

Nope, I don't get here often enough...............compared to you.

I do a lot more reading then posting, obviously.

Anyway, good luck with the Clubman. I'll be going to CF on the 16th to see the preview for myself. I'm still not too sure if I'm gonna like it yet or not. I did get a 1:18th scale die cast car from MINI Motoring, thats pretty cool.:hmph:

·
Registered
10 Posts
That or we'll see you at the dealer getting a new automatic transmission. Thats much more costly than a clutch. Holding gears in a auto tranny doesnt make me feel comfortable... seems like the car is straining to keep it in gears because its not really meant to hold gears... I dunno I'm sure its fine... but hey... we have a 10 year old audi that has 144K miles on the original clutch... and my cousin has the same audi, smaller engine with 130K miles also on the original clutch... so we'll see... On the other hand... my dad had a 1992 BMW and the automatic tranny was making some funny noises at 80K miles... he traded it in.
Good point, and well taken. I'm driving a 93 Ford Ranger with 99000+ on the clock,with the original clutch, to work everyday. I also know a guy with the same truck thats working on his third clutch with 75000. A lot has to do with the drivers habits I'm sure, as well as what your doing with your ride. Just ask the AutoX guys.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Good point, and well taken. I'm driving a 93 Ford Ranger with 99000+ on the clock,with the original clutch, to work everyday. I also know a guy with the same truck thats working on his third clutch with 75000. A lot has to do with the drivers habits I'm sure, as well as what your doing with your ride. Just ask the AutoX guys.

Ya thats true. Its how you drive it. For a normal person a auto should last longer than a manual... but in my case I think I can make a clutch last longer than the auto tranny. And I think its cheaper to replace a clutch... oh not to mention more fun. Even in traffic. :p

981 - 987 of 987 Posts
About this Discussion
986 Replies
147 Participants
EBMCS03
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing