MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ConeDodger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a nationally competitve Solo II MCS for GS next year. I was wondering if there is a current shock company that seems to have a proven track record that works well with the Mini. Some have suggested that the Sport Package suspension is good enough.

Anyone have a link to webpage that might spell out the typical "hot" setup? Maybe I'm asking too much as Chris Shenefield had a nice page setup that explained the "cookie cutter" setup of the STS Civic that I ran in the past. I understand that I'm still going to need to do some test obviously, I'm just looking for a good base tha I can test on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you on cc.com? I recognize that quote.

I think it's more a matter of how much money you want to spend, not whether they will work with a specific model car. The shocks are all going to be good, and they're all going to provide some adjustability. I know I've seen Koni's mentioned, but most of my lurking has been in regard to STX until recently. I assumed the '05 would be bumped from GS.

There's at least two top drivers on NAM. Look for Brian Garfield and Keith (crap- I can't come up with it now). Keith's tag is "motoring". One of them may be willing to answer some set-up questions.

I'm buying a 2005 S this spring, so I may see you in GS.

Brock

·
ConeDodger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nevr2qk said:
Are you on cc.com? I recognize that quote.

I think it's more a matter of how much money you want to spend, not whether they will work with a specific model car. The shocks are all going to be good, and they're all going to provide some adjustability. I know I've seen Koni's mentioned, but most of my lurking has been in regard to STX until recently. I assumed the '05 would be bumped from GS.

There's at least two top drivers on NAM. Look for Brian Garfield and Keith (crap- I can't come up with it now). Keith's tag is "motoring". One of them may be willing to answer some set-up questions.

I'm buying a 2005 S this spring, so I may see you in GS.

Brock
I don't know what cc.com is, so I can't say that I'm on that site. Quote is something I ran across on a webpage that just made too much sence. :D

I know that Brian runs the Mini and I was hoping he would chime in on the thread, but I'm not sure how often he checks this forum. I will check out the NAM link too. Any other Mini sites that would be knowledgable in the setup department? I'm new to the Mini, so any other webboards would be great. Before this I've strictly raced Hondas, I'm looking forward to a new challenge though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you plan to run in the stock class, just straighten out your toe settings and get some sticky tires. The stock shocks are fine. Those two things will make a big difference on handling compare to the stock setup. Don't forget to turn the ASC/DSC off. Until you get used to the handling of the MINI, then spend the money on things you want to improve on. I did 3 autocross series in my area this year with the above changes being very competitive. The car transformed quite a bit from the first autocross with stock settings (which I was disappointing on how it handles) to a very fun tossable car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, unfortunately, I haven't found much else, at least along the lines of set-up info. Best bet is probably to hit any national tour and prosolo events within reach and see what people are running.

If you run across anything, be sure to pass it on. No one local to me is running a MINI yet.

Brock

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey Gang, to be truthful, every MINI Cooper handles great in stock factory form, unless there's something wrong.
To get lift-throttle rotation, simply up the rear air pressures. Don't sweat modifications until you get a lot more time in the car.
That said, here are some tips:
1) Toe the front out at least a tiny bit for some quick turn-in, about 1/16th should be sufficient.
2) I've had lots of toe-in in the rear for awhile and it will still rotate, but even better, it's more predictable. So I recommend at least 1/16th toe in for the rear, gain rotation from high rear tire pressures or shock settings if you go that route.
3) I've got Koni single adjustables, or SA's. The only reason I run them is because a sponsor (Mini Mania) bought them. They will gain you NO time advantage but will gain you adjustability very quickly. I'm starting to think they may be worth the money. Get them as SA's for awhile, and then send them out to make them double adjustable later as you become more experienced.

Other top drivers have run Koni DA's and lost to drivers with stock shocks, and visa versa. Unlike a Miata, the chassis doesn't respond as drastically to shock changes so they're less important in my opinion.
Keith Brown, last I saw, was running a set of single adjustable (but MANY settings) Leda's which were pricey, but nice.
Double Adjustable Konis will probably be the best route, since they're probably the most tested.
BUT, my driving aside, Ian Baker placed second in my car at Nats this year and I can honestly tell you, it could've been done on stock shocks.

Good Luck!

Brian

·
Autox Monster
617 Posts
Stock shocks will work just fine... that coming from the guy on custom Ledas. :rolleyes: Karter Bollman last year and Loren Mueller this year, finished Second at Nats in H Stock with great second day drives on stock shocks. Both these guys scare the heck out of me. Karter doesn't get much seat time because of work and Loren has a total of 21 runs in a MINI (he had never driven a MINI before the practice starts for the Pro-Solo finale, that he [Loren] won)

I drove Dawn Maxwells car (H Stock Ladies National Champ 03 & 04) the same car Loren drove at Nats, at the Pheonix NT and the Farmington Pro and it handled great. I like the adjustablility of my shocks, but feel the car rotates a little better with the stock shocks. The Ledas make the car feel more planted.

If I were to start over I would probably go with the DA's because they are now easily obtainable, unlike when I put my car together. I had one of the two sets of adjustable shocks on a Stock MINI at Nats in 02 (Mark Chiles had the other set)

·
ConeDodger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies Brian and Keith... looking forward to talking to you in the future at some events in the Mini...

What's up with only 6 Pro-Solo events??? I was looking forward to running more of them this year and then they go and knock them down... :confused:

·
Registered
785 Posts
One explaination is that lots are getting more expensive, but the Pro Solo format doesn't lend itself to larger amounts of people, therefore we simply can't afford the lot.
That's definitely what happens at Petersburg, VA and Fed Ex Field in D.C. and why there isn't one in this area this year.
More than likely, we're simply loosing good lots, or they're getting too expensive. Also, the lots we've found are too far out of the way, and the Pro Solo doesn't even fill because of it's proximity (Oscoda for example).

I'm just happy that there are three within distances I was willing to travel (Atlanta, Toledo, and Oscoda). Hopefully, they'll change it back to best 2 of 3 for this year.

Brian

·
revitupmotorsports
11 Posts
we just installled some tein coilovers on a customers car and let me tell you what a difference it makes. go into a corner and the damn little car just goes :eek: . no sway whatsoever. i would say that these are hands down the best set up one could buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.