MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm picking up my MCS sometime in the next week, and I've ordered the Auxilary Audio Input. I found this thread http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43671 which shows a rather ingenious install which beats the normal glovebox placement of the port in my opinion. I contacted my MA to request they install it in this position rather than the glovebox. He tells me they can only install it in the glove because the cable is too short to reach anywhere else. Has anyone heard of a different kit for the install being provided to the dealers than the kit installed in the above thread?

If the cable truly won't reach, I'm going to cancel it and order the Denison IceLink. If it will, I'm going to just cancel the installation and do it myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's definitely NOT too short...I have mine currenlty coming out of the vents in that panel and have at lease a foot's extra. My MA said they are bound by "contract" to follow the provided installation intructions to the letter. ...

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Aux Input cable installation is VERY easy. I have a cubby organizer (2-shelf) set in my center consol. I just put the Aux cable through the back, and have it coming out at the bottom shelf. (My ipod sits in the cup holder). I didn't drill any holes at all, so installation took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I installed the Aux Input myself, without taking out the radio and support pillars...real easy. I installed it in to the Euro Parcel Shelf....that way, my autoreverse cassette player, or mp3 player sits neatly on the shelf and is plugged in to the Aux. To make using the player easier, I bought a retractible mini-to-mini plug....it retracts neatly in to itself,but I can pull the player out about 2 feet and have it sit on the passenger seat while I program it, and then it retracts when I place it back in the shelf

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for all your input. I've contacted my MA and will be installing it myself. Once again, MINI2 comes to the rescue. I love this site.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dumb question

Does the AUX jack provide the capability of hooking one of those mobile Sirius units to the HK stereo? Or is it only for Ipod and the like? This would be in a 2005 MCSC.

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will work with anything that has a standard line out jack. Basically, if you can plug headphones into it you can plug it in to the auxilary port.

·
Registered
260 Posts
umberto, where'd you get your rectractable mini-to-mini cable? I've seen retractables for USB, firewire, RJ11, RJ45, etc, but never mini-to-mini.

- Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
retractible mini-to-mini cable for aux input use

Markjenn-

I lookd all over to see if one existed...found it at pc-mobile

go to www.pc-mobile.net and look under the heading audioadapters/cables

one thing.....note that their shipping is $11.50 total whether you buy one or two,, but the cable is noly $6.50....so I bought 2 of them and keep the extra one as a spare

below is from their web site:

Retractable 3.5mm stereo plug > 3.5mm stereo plug -
Limited quantity specially made to complement our audio adapter. (you can get ordinary black ones of any length for a lot less cost from most Hi-Fi shop)
Connects Audio Adapter to Hi-Fi (home or car) with suitable input (3.5mm or other adapter). Retracts to less than 10cm when not in use. Extends to maximum length of 85cm Code: SP33R
$6.50

Buy It

Please note our minimum credit card order is $11.50 excluding p/p

·
Registered
401 Posts
well

The Cable works great. A lot less clutter of wire now. Though I got a nice call from the place I purchased it and told me they charged me wrong for shipping and they were going to recharge me 20 some bucks, I called them and told them no way I was paying them, it was their mistake. They agreed and didn't charge the extra for shipping overnight.

Howard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts