MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the dealer install an AUX input in my 05 convertible today when it was in for service. The labor they charged was sick but I guess I had no choice as I didnt want to mess with it myself. It was 39.95 for the input jack and 99 bucks for labor. I got it installed under the toggle switches so at least I'll be able to hide all my wires under there. Haven't played with it yet since I need to pick up a mini jack (what type do I need from my roady to the aux?) but basically you push the band button on the radio and it cycles to AUX.

Howard

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
ack wrong cable?

Went to radio shack to get a cable, the one I got says 1/8" stereo plug to 1/8" stereo plug. It fits in the roady 2 but not the AUX input which seem a bit to small. What do I need?

Howard

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

Arggg those idiots at the dealer installed it on the toggle switch where the rear fog light switch goes, I told them under the switches! Arggg

G

·
MadisonMini said:
where would it go *under* the switches?? can't picture it...
I installed mine myself (actually quite simple). Its 'under' the switches on that panel directly under the centre column. Look up above the lighter and you have it (with the air vents on it - you can't see it unless you look under). It's perfect for my ipod since i have one of those belkin car chargers for the ipod. A short 3.5mm jack at both ends (i mean 2" long! ;)) just into the belkin charger then that provides power and audio through the dock connector - perfect :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
look

At the thread Roady 2, someone had some nice pictures of him installing it under the switches.

Howard

·
Registered
44 Posts
My dealer installed the jack in a different spot than where I had requested, too, but I got used to it (it's not as poor of a location as yours). I had asked for it in the glovebox (since I don't own an iPod, I want it hidden most of the time unless the passenger brings theirs), but the put it into the side of the left downtube. Mine couldn't go under the toggles very easily, as I've got the accessory gauges there. Moral here: make a big note and tape it to the dash when you take the car in to get the Aux input installed, or it's anybody's guess where the socket will be!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dealer installed the aux input in the middle of the center cubby on my 05 - unfortunately it's only a couple of cm up from the base of it so the rubber insert doesn't fit. Also, I'm worried if I keep the cable plugged in that the input may get damaged by other stuff in the cubby. So I keep the cable out of it most of the time and store it in my glovebox.

I agree that if you are going to get the input then be extremely clear about where you want the input - I thought mine would be under the toggle switches as well. But, since my dealer did it for free when I picked up the car I can't really complain. They also threw in free rubber floor mats - sweet!

A couple people have remarked 'oh, it doesn't come with regular floor mats?' :confused: I was willing to pay extra for the rubber. I guess some people prefer the carpet. I never drive barefoot, so the rubber is OK with me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did not even know you got a choice. Mine is on the support column for the center console on the left column facing inward. Guess I'm glad it's not on the other side or it would stab my leg. It's not very pretty, but it's quite functional.

·
94 Posts
I asked my dealer to install my input in the center console, and they refused. They told me that the cable was only long enough to reach the glove box and it was impossible to put it anywhere else. In short, I installed it myself. 3 feet of cable to work with and I put it under the center console exactly where I wanted it. Tomorrow I'm installing a hidden 12v for the Belkin adapter, tuck the whole mess of wires under the dash, route the adapter to the drivers side cupholder and turn it into a dedicated iPod cradle, drop it in and go!

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
I ran into the samething! Right before I picked up my MCS, my MA sent an email stating all the dealer options I ordered. He asked if I wanted to continue with them prior to releasing the vehicle. I was okay with everything except... you guessed it, the Aux Input. For US$40, how much could it be? (I thought to myself) Then when I saw what it would cost... I could not get myself to go through with it! $135 installed??!?!? Ouch! Then I located the DIY section and will do it myself once I get an iPod!
Not sure where to locate it though... It appears that under the center console is best, not terribly excited about putting it in the glovebox or where ever "they" want to stick it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just install it yourself. The plug goes right in the back of the radio behind the volume knob, you don't have to take anything apart just takes a little patience. Feel behind the radio where the plug goes and then plug it in. :cool:

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Like JeffM I had it put in the left downtube -- perhaps we both went to MINI of Peabody? The location works very well...the dealer "default" is inside the glovebox which I couldn't envision as my iPod would be out of site and not easily accessible.

See my gallery for pics of the downtube mount, I also put in a Panavise mount so it's easy to see/access.

·
Registered
82 Posts
CD Changer

If I've got a CD Changer installed can I still fit an AUX cable to the back of my stereo? If you can what mode does it show up as?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dealer is going to charge you an arm and a leg for the install of the AUX cable because the documentation that comes with it tells the dealer to remove the radio/downtubes/console and gives an estimated time of 2 hours and tells the installer to stick the jack in the glove box.
There are several threads that discuss how easy it is to install with out removing the radio (I've even had people tell me they can install it with out flipping down the knee bolster)
I've got the option after market shelp below the switches and have the cable in there-took me ~10 miniute to install
Dont know about the CD changer but i think you can have both at the same time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
took me all of 2 minutes to install my AUX cable in the back... but longer to install the Euro Tray under the drivers area.. and I set my socket inside there.. (on the inside).. got a cable at RS.. and all is almost good! I recently got a new MP3 player that has a remote.. so I have remote on a cable going to the aux and it's situated right behind the steering wheel.. (you wouldnt belive what i have holding the cable that remote can plug into.. lets say it's a suction clip shaped like a small fish.. dont ask) it works great......

EXCEPT.. when i run an AC Adapter to the MP3 Player. I get a TON of white noise!!! Everyone says it's a ground problem,, but how and how can i fix it?????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts