MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife has a convertible S due in about a month. We ordered the driving lights, but I guess they're dealer installed options. I haven't heard the first thing about dealer costs for install. I thought the 400.00 included install, but I've read threads about people being charged for the install.

What's the bottom line for these? The salesperson hasn't mentioned the first word about additional costs for the lights.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In Ireland, in my Dealership, we charge about 600 Euros or so for the driving lights. The installation is a pain in the bum. The mechanics have to make their own wiring looms, conceal them, splice them into the existing looms and then re-program the ECU to activate them.

No idea what the cost is stateside, but see how you go.

Owen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gr8britwjh said:
The driving lamps are $400 without install.............add in the MINI dealer labour charges for fitment and you're looking at around $700 (+ tax) :eek:
This brings up 2 points. The first is that the dealer charges were never mentioned. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. My second question is why is this a dealer installed option? Your basically paying the dealer to take apart stuff that you paid the factory to put together. You'd pay a lot less in labor time if it was installed while in the assembly line.

Nearly every car I've owned has had driving lights. None of them were 700.00 options, not even close. Sorry, had to vent.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
Do it yourself and save....

And for questionable lights anyway. I would check out the Moss Motors badge bar about $150, and then a set of Cibie' (pronounced C-B-A) lights at about $90 each, and a wiring harness at about $45. There is your $400 and you really have something there. For the lights I would check out the cibie' tango or oscars ... at Daniel Stern Lighting ... http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Web page is not very well arranged, but if you scroll down you will see the relay kits and fog and driving lamps. Add some wire to make the harness and a few hours of your time and you will have superior lighting for less than the dealer installed price.

·
The Mini In ME
130 Posts
Dealer Installed Fog Lights

The fog lights were $400.00 ( installation not included ) and the total was $695.00 installed. I had them done and do not regret it, just due to wiring etc. as mentioned in one of the above threads. Take a good look under the front bumper. They are not just little lights.

They work great, don't rattle or shimmey, and look great, instead of using the headlights when you only need a little more light.

I am talking about FOG lights, NOT driving lights.

We get a lot of fog here on coastal Maine.

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
ned78 said:
In Ireland, in my Dealership, we charge about 600 Euros or so for the driving lights. The installation is a pain in the bum. The mechanics have to make their own wiring looms, conceal them, splice them into the existing looms and then re-program the ECU to activate them.

No idea what the cost is stateside, but see how you go.

Owen.
Not sure where you get your info but in the UK the light set inc. OE loom, relays, switches etc costs £145. BMW supply it only as a kit. So there are no looms to make, wires to splice or anything.

Fitting is easy, took me 3hrs including double checking everything. The worst bit is getting them activated.....as most dealers want to charge an arm and a leg to enter 5 lines of code in the programming of the BC1 (Body Control Unit).

From past experience on here most UK dealers will supply and fit for around £300 - 400.

Mine were bought off ebay for £107 plus 3hrs of my time, plus £32 to activate them....so £139 all in.

If anyone wants to fit them, themselves I have the OEM fitting guide as a pdf doc.....I cam email it to anyone who wants a copy!

Robert

PS The Spotlights are not for use in fog.....as they are mounted above the bumper / fender. The fog lights are fitted below the bumper / fender, where they'll be of more use to you....!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.