MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out....

What really worries me is that the driver takes his hand off the steering wheel to turn the music on at 150mph, this driver is nuts!!!

P.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Yup - looks like one of the unrestricted sections of autobahn n Germany. About half of Germany's motorways have a 120km/h (75mph) speed limit; about half are derestricted (including quite a lot of two-lane stuff; so much for the myth that German m-ways are derestricted because they're wider). Drive as fast as you like, you won't be stopped for speeding; but don't have a crash or an accident, or drive in any way dangerously - if you're going over 120km/h, you *will* be in a lot of trouble.

Done 135mph (verified by satnav) on the autobahn a few times myself in my R52. But it is far too fast - the road's noisy, the ride's uncomfy, and your eyes have to be out on stalks because if anything goes wrong, you have no safety margin at all. 100-110mph is much more civilised, and doesn't involve running the engine near the red line.

Of course, with current fuel prices, I can see myself sticking to 70mph when I'm next in Germany. Driving faster *really* hammers the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
would love to see his intake temps, know when i was gunning it down the autobahns a while back the intake temp saws really high

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Safe Speed" depends entirely on the car and the circumstances. I admit I have been a passenger in a car travelling at about 175mph, but I will never admit to listening to Avril Lavine!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
intake temps go up, but so does engine temp...mainly due to the fact that when running at a constant speed the ECu switches onto closed loop frequently as your on part or closed throttle if your on downhill or the level, and in many cars that means it runs a little lean....so building temps (which then never get dropped due to rising engine bay temps)

keep that up in a tuned R53 and she would pop eventually I'm sure. The Turbo S though may perform a lot better? Mind you my R53 sits at over 100 on some very long stretches of "autobahn" on occasions and never bats an eyelid.... it really worried the Bentley GT driver in front of me when he couldn't pull away from me.... I'm pretty sure he straight to his dealer and claimed his car couldn't be running right LOL

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
:rolleyes: your not the only one :eek:

·
Firefly
164 Posts
At that speed I bet his trip computer was counting down well fast!

Even if it was allowed or not I don't think you would find me doing 150mph in a normal car... having had a blowout at near on 80mph and only just managed to keep things under control I should imagine at 150mph it would be suicidal :frown:

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Yup. Anything goes wrong at 150mph, you must prepare to get measured for a pine box. And only a chump ignores his rear view mirror on the autobahn - there's always the chance that something's approaching at even greater speed from behind, and the Germans *love* to tailgate (it's just as against the law over there, but for some reason it still seems frighteningly popular on the autobahn).

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
At that speed I bet his trip computer was counting down well fast!

Even if it was allowed or not I don't think you would find me doing 150mph in a normal car... having had a blowout at near on 80mph and only just managed to keep things under control I should imagine at 150mph it would be suicidal :frown:

Yeah but it would have runflats though;)!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts