MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Off to the Dealer
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If there are any other danger signs or tips to get through this time, please post at the end of this thread. I'll be adding good suggestions to this post. Remember, we are all in this together.

If your lucky and you've followed your MINI across the pond, after you MINI hits the VDC it enters what is commonly referred to as the 'Black Hole'. The problem with this 'Black Hole' is that any tracking you've been able to do on your own or with the help of other obsessed geeks (I mean, MINI enthusiasts) just vanishes into thin air. The Black Hole is all encompassing: you lose all track of you MINI, the OL is 3 to 5 days behind schedule, and your MA may or may not impart information to you.

I've adapted Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' "Five Stages of Grief" to assist you through these difficult times. A MINI enthusiast may experience all of these stages or just a few. The order of the stages may vary from MINI enthusiast to MINI enthusiat.

DENIAL
Problem
The OL gives an expected date of delivery and you believe it. Why would MINI lie? A day or two prior to the expected delivery date, your MA contacts you and tells you to expect your MINI next week. The morning of the expected delivery date you cancel all your meetings as you wait for your MA to magically call and tell you your MINI is ready.
Solution
Tomorrow is another day.

BARGAINING
Problem
One of the most dangerous stages. If the MINI on the expected date of delivery, you tell yourself, I will clean out the gutters, spend more time with my family, and go to church every Sunday.
Solution
Never, never give voice to these promises. Keep them to yourself. Because any of the things you may promise to be a better human will only get in the way of happy motoring.

ANGER
Problem
Fellow MINI enthusiasts whose MINI has journeyed on the same ship as you have received their MINI three to five days prior to you. And, for some reason, dealerships are closed on Sundays. What's the deal with that? You've become p*ssed and argumentative. Your spouse makes you sleep on the couch, workmates ridicule you behind your back for fear you might go postal, and your MA has filed a restraining order.
Solution
Try to use your time wisely. Buy items for your soon-to-arrive MINI. Read the User Manual. Start planning your first mods. Make a CD of your favorite motoring music. Take long drives in your old car, so that you will truly appreciate your MINI when it arrives. Danger: Worst case scenario is that you wish evil on other MINI enthusiasts who have received their beloved automobile. Please, be careful, please.

DESPAIR
Problem
You've become uncommunicative and surly. Strangers on the street ask you, "Who died?". Friends say, "It's only a car." You don't check your emails, MINI boards or your phone messages. You have become content with your old car.
Solution
Buy a book of New York Times Crossword Puzzles to take your mind off your problems.

ACCEPTANCE
Problem
Finally a stage where there is no problem. You know your MINI will arrive and, soon, everything will be right in the world.
Solution
Pure pleasure when you drive your MINI off the dealer's lot.

CONTRIBUTORS: nemski and twouptons

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
How about a sixth and possilbly seventh stage for all those who lost their MINIs via damage on shipment or transportation in-country and had to reorder!!!? :bad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts