Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, where do I start? I've been a keen follower of the Mini2.com forums for​
some time now and am a proud new owner of a MCS Convertible (just 12​
days ago).​
Overall I am really happy with my new MINI - it's a superb car and everything
I anticipated. However, one thing I'm having a real problem with is the sport
seats (black leatherette). I've had major problems finding a comfortable driving
position and even had to go to the doctor last week with severe lower back
and leg pains. I'm a very active person (runner, triathlete) and can't
attribute these pains to anything other than the new seats. I almost feel as
if they've been installed at some weird angle and that my body isn't facing
completely forward when I'm driving. The only respite I seem to get is when
I move my body way over to the left of the seat to try and compensate for
the twisted feeling. I've tried many different positions - fore/aft,
high/low etc. but nothing seems to help.

My wife has an 03 MCS and I've never had any problems driving her car or any
of the demo cars at the dealership (Checkered Flag, Virginia Beach). I've
been in touch with my MA and I'll be going back in the next couple of days
to get his opinion on the matter. I hope I can resolve the situation somehow
as it's really making things miserable with regards to the new car.

I've searched the forums for help but could only find the following old threads:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36894
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28487

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

~steve

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
I live just across the HBRT from you and am looking to buy some MINI seats. If you decide to replace the seats with something that suits you better, drop me a PM?

You may want to check the Sparco seats, I've heard very good things about them.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Too bad about your seating probs. Here are a few ideas, maybe helpful.

Ensure that your driving position allows you to pust the pedals (clutch, brake) fully to the floor with your leg comfortably extended, knee slightly bent, with your back firmly and comfortably fitted to the seat.

Don't "lean" into curves, keep your driving position relatively straight and level. And of course, adjust the seat controls to accommodate the above basic positions.

I'm over 6 feet, about 200 pounds, and find the '05 MCS sport seat very comfy. The longest trip I've taken thus far is about 2 1/2 hours driving time. However, I've never seen a seat (even one in a living room!) that would keep me comfortable for more than an hour or so.

I was taught the above positioning in driving school many years ago, it is very basic and quite helpful.

I hope it works for you, let us know if you find a solution.

·
miniminymoe
213 Posts
I too find the Sport Seats a bit of a problem, seems that the bottom/side seat bolsters stick me right in the sciatica- thought it was only me- and my 6'3 240 llbs to big for the seat????

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
hjacobs475 said:
I too find the Sport Seats a bit of a problem, seems that the bottom/side seat bolsters stick me right in the sciatica- thought it was only me- and my 6'3 240 llbs to big for the seat????
I have an '02 MCS with the fabric Sport seats and Sport Suspension +. I am 6'2"/1.88m and 250lbs/114kg and have found the seats to be remarkably comfortable, even for extended motoring trips of up to 6hrs, so far. My wife also finds the seats very comfortable and she is considerably smaller(a lady never reveals such things). I am still running the original run-flats, but looking forward to switching to some sticky non-runflats.

So I would think that size does not seem to matter in regards to seating comfort. Have you fiddled about with all of the adjustments, up/down, forward/back, seat back angle etc. I did find that it took me awhile to find a comfortable setting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm 6'4" 190 lbs and fit great in our '02 with leatherette sport seats. Try the seat controls and see if you can find an angle that works. The MINI is one of the few cars that's seat it directly in line with the steering wheel instead of offset to the side. Which way does it feel like it's at an angle to? Could it be the fact that the downtubes are so close to your one leg that your compensating the other way?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I'm happy to say I'm pain free now and can motor in comfort. Went back to the dealership and my MA helped with setting me up correctly - I know it sounds obvious, but I was sitting slightly too far away from the pedals and stretching my left leg just a bit too much.
At first the new position felt way too close and that I was all over the steering wheel, but I've slowly adjusted to the point where this feels normal.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know I'm now loving the sports seats - thanks Sean at Checkered Flag.

~steve

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
I'm 6' 220 lbs and love my sport seats, although it took some tweaking to get it right. I have a history of low back problems and really didnt know if the sport seats would do me well. They have. I've done 6-7 hour cruises with no problems whatsoever, along with short aboot town in-and-outs (the MINI is surprisingly one of the easiest cars to enter/exit.)

And if there's anyone out there with low back problems reading this thread and speccing your MINI, get the heated seats. You won't regret it :D :D :D Jimbo

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad to see it's better

I found out too that changing the whole positioning from what I first thought to be comfortable to a closer (to the steering wheel) poisition helps.
Nevertheless, I keep having this impression that the seats are off-center compared to the steering wheel - this on both the coopers I've owned (same build, black leather panther).
Has anyone removed the seats to see if this can be adjusted? Like tilt the seats on the racks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts