MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this whole internet forum thing. I just got my 2005 mini cooper s mtx a week ago. It just recently started making this weird backfiring noise that sounds as though it's coming from the exhaust pipes. It only happens after if have given her gas and let off abruptly. The car only has 435 miles on it, so I have not yet reved above 4500 RPM yet (although I can't wait until I can). Does anybody have a clue what this sound could be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want more...

Welcome. If you like and want more popping/cracking look into a performance exhaust. It wakes up the MCS. Oh, add a Cold Air Intake while you are at it. More HP and you will experience a wonderful symphony. Nick :D

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

Backpressuring would be a better description of it, since its caused by the abrupt change in exhaust pressure from being relatively hard on the gas to not at all. As others have said, its harmless. Its a result of the freer flowing exhaust (vs 02-04) on the 05s, so its not well know since its only been an issue the last few months. MINI actually took a bit of a leap to put such an exhaust on the car, but most people with 05s like it, and its a nice touch, especially for a stock system.

Totally normal, and nothing to worry about, and not backfiring.

·
Registered
295 Posts
bc_seventy_six said:
Me too, an real unexpected bonus when i picked my car up, couldnt stop smiling :)
I am really surprised at how many 05 MCS and MCSC drivers are unaware of the pop-pop-popping exhaust. My salesman used it as a selling point when I went for my test drive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.