MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
I'm shocked! What a nice guy he was. Last time I saw him was at the R56 unveiling at MoP in February. Just a "hello" but he remembered me and that was only like the 3rd time I'd ever seen him.

We have such a vibrant community of friends here, but it seems like those people are the ones whose stay is the shortest. Godspeed, Dan.

·
Resident Panpsychist
2,655 Posts
In the 1600s, Bishop Robert South wrote:

"If there be any truer measure of a man than by what he does, it must be by what he gives."

...and Dan McDonald gave unconditionally to us all. His spirit will be welcomed in our hearts and in those of our departed friends.

Theo

·
#1 Stink Clown
1,747 Posts
I wanted to share a story that happened to us at the MOT 2004 (the first Bar Harbor invasion). At the gas station where we were to split into two groups there was some confusion as to where we were supposed to go. I found Diane but couldn't manage to find our 'leader' Chris Winslow. There was a message that came over the Walkies that the group had already left. So we punched it and hopped onto the interstate hoping to catch up to the rest of the group. Diane and I were speeding but neither of us had a radar detector so we were kind of afraid to really push it. I looked in my rear view mirror and here comes a red MINI really fast and then just blew by us like we were stopped (we were probably doing 75-85mph at the time). Diane came over the Walkie saying that he had to have had a radar detector and we could probably speed up a little (at least to catch him). We sped up to 100-110mph, calling for the 'leader' the whole time. We finally caught up to him and managed to pull the group over. Chris had the Walkie Talkie on the wrong channel. I caught up to the MINI that was going so fast and it was Dan McDonald. I asked him if he had a radar detector. His reply, "No." and laughed. I told him what happened and he laughed harder. He was just trying to catch up too.

·
wherever you go...
1,617 Posts
Ah, Dan catching up. The Big Dig run a few years back went on from Boston out to the western burbs, with a stop at Decordova Museum. Here we were, all lined up in this pretty tranquil parking lot in the woods, and in came Dan, racing to catch up, wheels spinning and sand flying. We honored him by making his car the centerpiece for a group photo. Sorry I don't have a copy to share. Anyone?

·
Keith
255 Posts
Very sad and shocking news. Dan was such a friendly man who will be very much missed by all those with whom he was acquainted. My condolences to his family and those closest to him.

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
Damn.

He was one of the good guys.

And he always said real nice things about my kids.

I want to believe it was peaceful.

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Dan was such a quiet yet cheerful person. His passing is a tremendous loss.

I'm a bit confused by earlier postings. Is the funeral service on Sunday?

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
I, too, have a "chasing Dan" story. On the way back north after the "The Italian Job" pre-screening south of Boston. I followed Dan up the interstate for a good stretch. I slowed when I noticed that we had blown past a cruiser parked on the shoulder. No real reaction from the cruiser or Dan. :D

I also seemed to run into him often at MINI of Peabody, and he always seemed to have food to deliver there.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I always remember Dan as a short friendly guy who loves minis so much he has a bunch of 'em.

The first memory of him in my head is when I think I first met him at the 2004 Charles run.

I remember him tearing out of the ice cream parking lot at the end, but was too quick for me to snap a pic. Everyone else followed suit and I did get photos of others moving at half his speed.

My next memory is at MAMA II where we stopped at one of the abandoned covered bridges. God only knows how he got his mini down the steep embankment to set up a perfect photo of his mini.

In my memory he is standing right next to his mini there with a big smile on, but when I searched sadly that is not captured in the photo.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
this is truly terrible news, such a nice man and so young, it doesn't seem right. Dan's family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Many thanks to Scott @ MoP, just sent me this link:
Memorial Obituaries McDonald, Walter

... Walter D. “Dan” McDonald, died unexpectedly on April 16, 2007 at his home. He was born December 12, 1959 at Elliot Hospital in Manchester, NH ...
... He had a collection of Mini-Cooper automobiles including a newer model and two vintage vehicles and was pleased to be a member of various Mini-Cooper organizations. He looked forward to the annual Mini-Cooper climb of Mount Washington ...

Calling hours will be held on Sunday, April 22, 2007 from 4:00-7:00 PM at the Brewitt Funeral Home, 2 Epping Street, On the Common, Raymond, NH 603-772-3554. To sign an on-line guest book, please visit www.brewittfuneralhome.com
Services will be held on Monday, April 23, 2007 at 11:00 AM at the Raymond United Methodist Church, 51 Main St., Raymond, NH 603-895-2265.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Dan’s memory to the Greater Manchester Family YMCA, 30 Mechanic Street, Manchester, NH 03101.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts
About this Discussion
128 Replies
43 Participants
m2smith
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing