MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
The girl in the red MINI
772 Posts
This is so saddening to hear. Dan was one of the first people I met at my first MINI event last July. He included us right in with the conversation and made us feel welcome. My prayers are with his family... :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote: I also seemed to run into him often at MINI of Peabody, and he always seemed to have food to deliver there. end Quote

Sorry all, I haven't figured out how to use the "quote" feature, so I just cut and paste. I am one of the newer employee's at MINI of Peabody (been here almost 2 years) and I distinctly remember the day I met Dad. It was my first week working at MoP, and Dan knew that I was new. Dan came up and introduced himself to me, and warmly welcomed me into the MINI community. He always remembered my name, and made a point to shake my hand each time he visited the dealership. He was known around MoP as the "Dan the muffin man" as he always brought in delicous snacks for the employees here. Both will be missed.

Another brief story about Dan - I was closing down the dealership late one night with Hrach, and we were on our way out the door when Dan came screaming into the parking lot. He had been working and needed to use the restroom. We reopened the dealership and ended up staying another hour plus just hanging out and talking. I'm so glad I did stay instead of hurrying home.

Dan is already missed here at MoP. As a testiment to Dan and his love for MINI's - his boss called the dealership to notify us, knowing his love for his car, our employee's, and the MINI community. I'm always so impressed with the MINI community to step up to the plate, even when sadness surrounds us. It really is like a family in so many ways.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Ah, Dan catching up. The Big Dig run a few years back went on from Boston out to the western burbs, with a stop at Decordova Museum. Here we were, all lined up in this pretty tranquil parking lot in the woods, and in came Dan, racing to catch up, wheels spinning and sand flying. We honored him by making his car the centerpiece for a group photo. Sorry I don't have a copy to share. Anyone?

And when asked, Dan said he went to get his car washed! (But he really made a wrong turn on 128 ;))

·
Labrador retreived
689 Posts
Again we lose another member of our family, so young, so energetic, always the "life of the party." We should always remember his fondness for red cars:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/1489195-post25.html

They do go faster, you know.

Godspeed Dan. There is a pristine classic Austin Cooper S waiting for you just past the pealy gates.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Terrible news, like others, my first impression of Dan was getting out of my car at MoT in the Loon lot, he screeched in, parked himself next to me, introduced himself and made me feel welcome. Truly a unique and special individual.

·
MINI Client Advisor
83 Posts
This really saddens me...
I can't count the hours Dan and I spent shooting the **** @ MoP. A genuine good guy. I swear every time he cam into the dealership the man had baked goods in hand, half the time he was just popping in to say hello, stopping by on his way into Boston...

I think my favorite memory of racing with Dan was at the first MOT, we had hung out at a rest stop on the Kanc, I scooted up the road to videotape Dan as he came careening around the corners. Then me, Dan, and Steve B. (I think) went screaming down Bear Notch Road together just the 3 of us, it was a glorious day

Dan will truly be missed...

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This really saddens me...
I can't count the hours Dan and I spent shooting the **** @ MoP. A genuine good guy. I swear every time he cam into the dealership the man had baked goods in hand, half the time he was just popping in to say hello, stopping by on his way into Boston...

I think my favorite memory of racing with Dan was at the first MOT, we had hung out at a rest stop on the Kanc, I scooted up the road to videotape Dan as he came careening around the corners. Then me, Dan, and Steve B. (I think) went screaming down Bear Notch Road together just the 3 of us, it was a glorious day

Dan will truly be missed.
Oh yes, that was a great day. As I recall you had a totally unauthorized JCW flash you dirty rat! You did a big fly by on the straight level part of the Kanc.:p Did you stop for cider and donuts with us later? I can't recall. Happier days for sure, but I know we will all have many more happy ones to remember...it's just difficult at times like this to know that fact.

I was at MOP the day Dan came in to order his MCS back in '03(?). We hit it off right then and there and became fast friends.

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Is there a MINI plan for either Sunday or Monday?
I don't feel that I know Dans family like I knew Eds - but I do feel that getting together with other MINIacs in memory would be a good thing.
I've been thinking of this too, Ian. I have met his Mom and Step-Dad twice but am not on familiar terms with them. I would be petrified to call Dan's cell # and impose on a family member if they have it.
I'm wondering if there is a spot a couple of miles out that we can meet and then arrive together maybe at 4 p.m.?
Perhaps someone from nearby can advise or we can always check the maps.
I am staying over Sunday night , then John and I will attend Monday services too.

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
We'd love to know too. Maybe a stop to see Harvey & Terry earlier Sunday? A dinner on Sunday or late lunch on Monday in honor of Dan?
Rick, You going to Monday service too?

·
lost in the ozone again
3,112 Posts
Is there a MINI plan for either Sunday or Monday?
I don't feel that I know Dans family like I knew Eds - but I do feel that getting together with other MINIacs in memory would be a good thing.
I'm going to try to be there on Sunday, Ian . Do you want to meet up at the park and ride bus terminal in Newburyport, adjacent to RT 95 say at 3:30? Anyone else? from the directions on the Brewitt web site , you go North on rt. 95 to Rt 111/101 and just go to Raymond westbound. Jock

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
One of my favorites of 4 goobs on Cadillace Mtn.
Dan was always carrying his camera. I'm hoping we will be able to get some of
his pics. from MINI events.

Attachments

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
I know there's a good-sized OSMC contingent headed to Ikea on Sunday. I'm autocrossing at Devens with BMWCCA on Sunday, but I think I'm going to try to make it up to Raymond, as well.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Wow...
Two shocks for me today. I saw this news, and also heard that another MINI owning friend (David Li, who I don't think was active on here, but he lurked) died of a heart attack on Saturday.

Both great men, both gone way too soon.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts