MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bad News: Dan McDonald

23K views 128 replies 43 participants last post by  m2smith 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just learned that Dan McDonald died yesterday.
Services Sun. and Monday. I will post more when I can.:(

We are meeting 4/22 at 4 p.m.ish at McDonald's Restaurant on Rt. 101 in
Raymond, NH and will head over to 2 Epping Street, Raymond around 4:30 p.m.

#58 ·
Wow...
Two shocks for me today. I saw this news, and also heard that another MINI owning friend (David Li, who I don't think was active on here, but he lurked) died of a heart attack on Saturday.

Both great men, both gone way too soon.

Reactions: NoNo
#66 ·
Oh I don't know about the mud, John. I think Dan really did enjoy the long slow muddy with a chance of getting stuck drive to his home. Let's see...he had two 4WD trucks with plows, 1 F250 4WD gas, one F250 4WD deisel; one awesome full sized road grader w/ blown engine but good engine on a stand in his basement, Two big dump trucks 2WD running status questionable, one 4x6 ATV with joy stick controls ala Banana Splits style, one 4x4 ATV....I have a feeling he tolerated the snow and mud quite well;)
When we were standing out in the flat spot behind his house near the fire pit and overlooking the stream I was saying this was the perfect spot for a guys-only camp out weekend at the newly named New England Home for Abused Men. We were making all the plans and Dan was standing there with that big amused grin of his saying "Sure sure" "Ok, yup, sure", "Anytime, anytime"....He tolerated us very well.

#68 ·
I am sorry to report that Carol and I will not be able to journey to NH on Sunday for the calling hours. Would it be too imposing if we asked one of you to sign the book for us? I hope this request isn't poor form.

Too many...too soon...

Theo :red:

#69 ·
I am sorry to report that Carol and I will not be able to journey to NH on Sunday for the calling hours. Would it be too imposing if we asked one of you to sign the book for us? I hope this request isn't poor form.

Too many...too soon...

Theo :red:
FYI Theo, the funeral home web site has an on line guest book. Check back at previous posts for link (from Ian I think)

#73 ·
We are truly shocked that Dan has died suddenly. We remember him and his red Minis, especially the older model. He was one of a kind just like his Minis. He was very patient with my husband asking questions about his cherished Mini from the 70's (?) and let us look under the bonnet and the boot. There won't be another person like him!!! We hope he is enjoying wherever he is--driving through space at the speed of light in a cloaked Mini...

#74 ·
I'm heading out on vacation Sunday afternoon, so can't make it to the wake.

Is anyone planning to meet up in the Nashua area earlier, perhaps to visit H&T in Merrimack before going to the funeral home in Raymond? Depending on the timing, I may be able to meet up to say "hi."

BTW, the town of Raymond was particularly hard hit by the heavy rains and floods this week. Many businesses have been crippled by the loss of power and continued loss of phone service (no orders for pizza, no credit/debit card processing, no lottery ticket sales, etc., etc.). If you're there and need gas, bring cash to be on the safe side. If you're there and feeling a bit hungry, do the local restaurants a favor and have a bite to eat in Raymond.

#75 ·
How about meeting up at 4 p.m. at McDonald's Restaurant on Rt. 101 in Raymond, NH on Sunday?
It's about 1/2 mile from the funeral home. I don't know of any place else in Raymond where we could meet that will have a good size parking lot and bathrooms.
It might be nice to head over all together around 4:30 p.m. ?
Please chime in if you want to do the meet-up.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...072&spn=0.05607,0.11673&iwloc=A&iwd=1&layer=t

#79 ·
I'd be down for KC's afterwards. I'm hoping to leave Devens around 3 to meet in Raymond at 4; I also hope that won't irritate the organizers. If I miss y'all at Chez McKay, I'll just head straight to the funeral home. I hope Dan won't mind that I'll probably be smelly and perhaps a bit greasy, but I'll try not to offend his other admirers. I'll try to dab a little eau de Yokohama behind the ears just for him, tho.

This post has been deleted
#84 ·
I agree, John.
Looks like it will be a beautiful day weather wise today and Monday. I'm glad for that and know that good weather is something families hope for when they are burying a loved one.

#87 ·
Thank you Ian for the great summation and pics. I wore my black MOT Tee shirt as I felt it was appropriate.As I stood gazing at Dan there were hands on my shoulders from behind.It was Dan's mother who had seen the large cling logo on the back of my shirt and she bellowed out " The MINIs are here!" Hugs for all , tears by most.I know she was very grateful for our appearance.Later outside we were again approached by Dan's employer who regailed us with work related stories of Dan. A rare baker sighting even if he WAS driving a brandy new Honda Civic SI. Great food at KC's later and a rather somber ride home. Jock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.