MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Flustered MINI Buyer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new here. I've been reading this board on and off for a few weeks while I have been trying to pick my config.
Well after playing with the mini.ca site long enough I have come to my choices.
However... I am finding this to be a little problem.
It seems the dealership doesn't want to play with me on this. I phoned to speak with a salesman about the order process and he kept telling me that I could not order a mini in the config I wanted.
I they have a few used MC's on the lot and are trying to get rid of those. This means placing my order just got a whole lot more difficult because they aren't offering me the ability to get the options I want.
They also keep trying to sell me on the 05' Mini with the "classic package". It only comes in 4 colors and NO real options. :(

I asked about ordering a MC with:
Black-eye purple
Black bonnet stripes and roof
silver interior trim (only because I can't get it color matched)
silver/panther black with space cloth
sport package
weather package
CVT (Have to get CVT because knee is too bad to use clutch)
SS+
Plus other goodies...

When I said Black-eye Purple he said, "That isn't an optional color on the classic mini."
I said, "I don't want a classic."
"Oh... Well then I can't help you because we don't like to deal in any MC's that aren't S's or classics."
"I would like to order one then."
"Well you can't do that right now because our stock has to go before we will bring in custom jobs because "they" want it that way. But can I interest you in a mini classic? There is no difference except it's a little more limited in colors. This saves the builders alot of time because they don't have to build alot of custom cars then."
"I thought the point of a mini was its customizable nature." :confused:
"Yeah that didn't work out too well so now "they" just send us what "they" want us to sell."
"But I'm really not interested in what "they" want to sell me. I would rather order what I want."
"Well... you can't get a MC in the config you want anyway."
"Why not? It's pretty basic."
"Yeah it seems that way but the computer is showing me none like that in Canada."
"What part of I WANT TO ORDER ONE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!?!" :mad:
*click* :mad:

What I am wondering is, has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal? I'm about to drop 30+K (CDN) on a car and I get a guy who sounded like he should've been cleaning toilets at Denny's instead of working at a dealership. I was nice and really trying to ask some very legit questions before I went there today or tomorrow to actually start the order.

I'm going to head down there tomorrow because I have a really bad feeling I was being jerked with by either a customer who picked up a ringing phone or a smart a$$ employee who is losing his job next week.

I just hope that's the case. This is the only Mini dealership around here and I really want one.

Anyone else have issues when they tried to order?

Sorry for the rant... I needed to vent.
SMN

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

What you say is definetly not normal. Your thoughts and concerns are valid.

About the only thing I can suggest off the top of my head is finding another dealer, because clearly, this one doesn't want your business. Odd they don't want to spend the time to let you buy the more expensive car then the stupid ones they have on the lot, but something is definetly wrong.

Where are you? Are there any other dealers close?

I'm sure someone is close to you and can give advice on your specific situation.

·
fun fun fun!
206 Posts
Welcome!

anyways... down to the point..

i have to say that that dealer is totally not fair/tricking you. :( if i were you i would go to a different dealer and buy. I do not see why they have to get them off of the lot first.. that part makes no sence.. hmmm.. did you every talk one on one with the sales person?? that might help a little bit.. but i suggest not useing this dealer at all with this attitude.. you might want to report/ ask minica about this by sending a letter...

·
2003 PS MCS
137 Posts
Hey there fellow Canadian. Boy, the first thing I'd do in this situation is call another dealer, even if it's some distance away, and see if they will place your order. If they will, go into your local dealer, ask to speak to the sales manager or owner, and see if he will place the order. If he refuses, tell him that you've talked to another dealer and that they are willing to place the order. Even better, get yourself pre-approved for the car loan if you haven't already, and tell them you're all set to go.

Gotta play hardball with these guys :) I'm not sure if there's a main number for MINI Canada but it might not hurt to call them first to see if this salesperson's story is legit.

What part of Canada are you in?

Cheers.

J\

·
Flustered MINI Buyer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting prepared to go to war with someone on this. I've waited too long to have my dream car ruined by some jerk.
I'm going to go there tomorrow and then I'll call Mini Canada. If I have to I guess I can order from somewhere else. I'm in Winnipeg so I guess the next closest dealer will be in Saskatchewan somewhere. :( I don't really want to have to drive my new mini home from "the Gap" though. Maybe I'll go for a vancouver dealer. This way I can play through the mountains on the way home. :)

I have a feeling this will be rectified tomorrow when I go down there. I'm thinking someone was jerking my chain. But if not... the salesman I spoke to will know what Black-eye purple really looks like up close.

SMN

*** It just occured to me! My Dad's old neighbor is a Mini Guru! He should be able to assit me on this. I'm sure he would know the right people to talk to. Heck, he's probably going to read this post too! ***

·
Registered
24 Posts
FWIW I've got a BEP Cooper and I would advise you think again about black stripes, as the colour is pretty dark, don't think it would look great. All IMHO :) , good luck with getting what you want...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You aren't the first Canadian who seems to be having trouble getting BEP with black roof and mirrors. The online configuration tool allows it and there are cars in other parts of the world like that but all they seem to allow here is BEP/white or BEP/BEP. Not sure if or why this is the case.

Good luck,
Harry

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
That's horrific! :eek:

I'm not in Canada, and I don['t know much about the geography of where you are, but name and shame that dealer! :D Then all Canadian MIN2'ers can boycott that dealership until they employ staff that have a decent humanistic approach! :p

MINI's are supposed to be customised, fun and grin-inducing - anyone who can't help us drivers enjoy our cars from the earliest stages of ordering right through to delivery and driving it don't deserve to work with MINI's in any dealer anywhere in the world! :rolleyes:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Just call up MINICanada and inform them that said dealer is not offering custom ordering anymore and you find this troubling. That should light a fire. But I would check out another dealer as well.

·
Flustered MINI Buyer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well last night I headed down to the dealership in question when it was near closing to see what mini's they had on the lot.
They had about a dozen 05's and none of them were even close to what I want. They did have a few S's that were pretty hot, but I can't go with a MT because of a bad knee.

They had two CVT MC's but one was red/red and the other was silver/black. The silver/black looked pretty hot but it had the anthricite interior which I am not a fan of.

For the first time in my life I felt alienated at a car dealership. I was there in uniform (firefighter) as it was just after my shift, and normally people notice me and at least come up and try to help me. This place sucked, I was there TRYING to get a salesman to come talk to me. I even approached one of them but he was busy with friends that popped by.

The dealership closed with me on the lot looking at the mini's. So I decided to go look at some BMW's and a few other cars (Honda S2000, Mazda RX8). Those dealerships went out of there way to run up to me to see if I needed help.

After looking I went back to the MINI dealer to stroll the lot one more time and a car pulled up, then another. The first guy was a customer and the second was a salesman. He re-opened the dealership for this one customer and they went down to business.

Here I can't even get a straight answer out of these guys, yet they will re-open after hours for another customer.

Too bad the next closest dealer is like 800Km's away.

For those of you wondering the name of the dealership... I live in Winnipeg and it's the only Mini dealer here. MINI + Winnipeg = MINI of Winnipeg

I had a feeling that the BEP/Black combo might be too dark but I haven't actually been able to see one. The online configurator makes it look good but I know it's not the exact color. Mind you the Indy Blue/White combo looked pretty hot. I didn't realize how nice that blue was.

I guess I'll go back to the drawing board on this one till I find someone who'll do the order.

Thanks guys
SMN

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't buy from those guys. Do you really want them to make money from you after treating you that way? Reward someone who treats you with respect and does their job properly.

Mark

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
sounds pretty poor. I'm in the UK and my supplying MA is about 800km (autually 889- I just checked!) away tho thats purely a price thing!

·
Anyone for haggis??
46 Posts
Hiya,

I would recommend an annonymous (excuse the terrible spelling) letter to this blokes manager detailing his lack of customer service skills - then pay some kids to stand outside and shout at him for an hour or 2! :D

Cheers!

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Special order it from another Canadian dealership and have it delivered. That has to be the route to go. And a letter to MINI Canada. You could have blasted the salesman who opened up after-hours while he was talking to the other customer. Might have given that customer a "bad feeling" and caused him to leave...?

Or, just check out the new 3er and get awesome service.

That is one thing that stinks regarding buying a vehicle at a dealership with high demand and low supply; they don't have to be nice and courteous. If you don't buy, someone else will.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Very unusual to say the least that a dealer would try to down-sell you to a Classic model from an MC with decent options. Especially since I was told by dealer that all dealers in Canada can only get one Classic model per month, so they are a rare animal.
Hold out to get some reasonable service from MINI Winnipeg, I'm sure thay will come to their senses and welcome an order for a BEP MC.
I saw a BEP/W combo in the showroom recently while waiting for service - very rich colour and much nicer than I expected from pictures - it looked great.
Good luck in your order, this car is worth the wait. Just a shame you are not being serviced better.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had exactly the same problem in the uk. Mill Mini near Sunderland. The salesperson was unbelievable. Needless to say, I left, ordered with Fawdington, where I got my first Mini, and they even brought my delivery forward three months. Went out of their way to treat me right, well, my sales person did, the Mini manager, Scott, is a right miserable [email protected]. I would order from someone else. They carry on like that they will soon lose profits.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
All I can say to this is no wonder the MINI doesn't sell very well in Canada if this is the attitude of dealers.
That stinks, just walk away and order from somewhere else. If they treat you like that before delivery just imagine what will happen if you have any problems down the line :eek:

:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts