MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around various places without any luck.

Can you buy baffled sumps for the mcs?

As i had one on my last car and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last car was a track prep'd supercahrged saxo.

It made a differenec by not, giving the car oil surges on long sweeping corners and made sure the engine always had a constant supply of oil.

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
I think you'll find that the Getrag box is less like an oil tank than a Citroen so oily sloshing around on corners and under braking won't be so much of an issue

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

I dont know of anyone who has had oil surge / pressure issues, even when running on the track with full race suspension and slicks, generating huge G forces.

Fuel surge can be a problem in these circumstances. I've only had it in hairpins using heavy trail braking which generates big forward and lateral G forces at the same time just before you get back onto the accelerator. It has only happened when the tank is down to around a 10l or less.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have central oil pick-ups so we should be good. Just make sure your oil level is topped up for track time.

Jeremy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replys. It was just something thats been in the back of my mind for a while and because i go to the Nuremburgring a few times every year i dont wanna have any oil issues.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Ask bigshow.... I believe he has the RMW kit or has a baffled sump? Or I'm sure he was looking at getting one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never heard of any oil issues on the mini, so as long as oil is topped up for track days then I doubt very much you'd need a baffled sump.

I'm in the process of getting a baffled sump for my 205 mi16 - now thats an engine that has serious oil surge issues!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
or why not run a dry sump set up, just need the space in the engine bay for the oil reservoir i suppose and the scavenge pump,

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Hi,

I dont know of anyone who has had oil surge / pressure issues, even when running on the track with full race suspension and slicks, generating huge G forces.

Fuel surge can be a problem in these circumstances. I've only had it in hairpins using heavy trail braking which generates big forward and lateral G forces at the same time just before you get back onto the accelerator. It has only happened when the tank is down to around a 10l or less.

Cheers

Robbo
Having this problem with our university formula student car, its got a yamaha r6 bike engine and on long corners we are getting oil surge issues that resulted in a broken conrod on a side cylinder. But thats because a bike leans into a corner and a car leans the opposite way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts