MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning

Im a new member having recently bought my son a 2007 mini one. It developed a problem where the engine would cut out whilst approaching a junction or if you needed to slow down. Im aware of the timing issues so had the full timing kit done as well as oil pump and exhaust vanos solenoid. Had it reset with bmw software where the vanos settings were perfect...the car ran great for 10 mins then reverted to the same fault it had originally, cutting out when you slow down. Its now back in the garage but the bill currently stands at 750! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
sounds to me like it starts playing up after the 02 sensors as switched to closed looped ie when exhaust get hot enough so would point me at 02 sensor or and cat issue also would check coolant temp sensor and thermostat housing as well known for same trick fooling the ecu,, what i would try first is no more than 1/4 of tank of fuel add a can of cataclean in it take for a good hard blast need to push the exhaust temperatures as hot as can get them this will hopefully clean it all out and start working again,, when the 02 sensors are hot they should read 0.45volts might move a round a bit but not much if circuit is happy, if see 0.0volts then you have a issue, if read 5v same thing. worth taking to garage and having put on CO gas machine same as mot one see what the exhaust is doing,
below link he good at explaining all cars are same with closed loop as mini are

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that mate. It runs ok on start up till warm then performance suffers dramatically. After being on the bmw software and the timing set it ran better than it ever has but as soon as the engine warmed it stalled on deceleration when the clutch dips. Will suggest this to my mechanic. Cheers

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
also would have timing chain tensioner checked might have gone soft or and chain is on its limits, so when car is being fed with fuel the load on the chain is one way, when you then release the throttle on over run if tensioner or chain worn out the back lash in chain between the camm shafts and crank and also the vanos cant keep up with it right away could also cause what you have, hence start with knowing the chain is all good is a very good start point if that makes sense, ie treat it 60,000 miles have lost count the amount of these engines that dont make 70k even when do its crws the cat ie £200 02 sensors another £200 on top of still needing to do the cause ie timing chain,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had the whole timing kit replaced mate as well as the oil pump and vanos sensor....it still brought up a p0014 fault as soon as the engine warms. All settings were cleared back to original settings with bmw software after the timing kit and vanos was changed 2 days ago ?

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
P0014 is the OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 1 exhaust camshaft is more advanced than what the ECM has commanded it be
either chain not timed correctly, or the oil control ring inside the first cam shaft journal for exhaust cam is worn out, this is very common on early cars bmw have updated this part with a carbon plastic one i believe, or solenoid valve filters are block or its failed, or faulty new vanos sprocket i have seen them from new have no bump stop off the spring as such

1 - 8 of 8 Posts