MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up the new-to-us 14 plate Mini Countryman on Saturday
On Monday we were driving it to show it to a mechanic mate
We were turning left from a road that had a bit of a slope.
(So pulling uphill and turning left)
Something went bang and the car had no drive
We left it and called the breakdown people

When they arrived, they said that there was "spatter" indicating a broken diff

The "graunching" noises it made as they pulled it onto the low loader were said to underline that diagnosis

Is this normal for Minis (Countrymans)?
Is that sort of junction a known issue for them?
(ie is the junction we frequently use a "Mini killer"?)

Is there something we can do to strengthen the the car - better maintenance schedule maybe?

Or should we return the car as not fit for purpose?
(I am concerned that the warranty job will replace one broken shaft and leave the rest of the diff with cogs with weakened cogs)

Not the best welcome to Mini ownership! :mad:

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
to do the diff the whole box will need to be stripped anyway, refurb boxes they tend to check through it all replace what needs to be , think the 4x4 gearboxes can suffer from diff more than 2wd drive that said any gearbox can eat its self, i got a 2011 vw t5 with a 5 speed gearbox i know its coming to a point where they all seem to fail ,, i'll send to a refurb guy he will replace what it needs and its the norm in the trade,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike

The warranty company is taking its sweet time deciding what it will do

The car bodywork seems fine but if the warranty refuses to pay up - or somehow skimps on the quality of the work then I fear we will have to reject the car

Fingers crossed the warranty company take this one on the chin

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
I dealt with a t6 vw transporter the other week common problem with them is on the 2,0cr biturbo diesel engines the egr cooler break up and sends metal in the inlet and destroys the engine , this van had been bought from a fairly big dealership guy paid £43.000 for it ie under 50k on clock few years old just out of makers warranty, luck for owner it came with a warranty from seller , they picked up the £9000 bill for new engine complete with turbo and dpf filter ,, the seller tried getting money back from warranty company and warranty would not pay for it for some bull reason of wear and tare and its a known makers weakness and they said take it back to vag group, vag group as bmw are all in denial or any faults with any of their products, at least the dealer stood by the owner and picked up the costs, guess they never wanted the court case that would of been heading their way I guess,, as part of engine change we done a erg delete and cooler delete, also done a dpf delete this should help to prevent such issues in future, see its not just mini bmw that have designed weakness that is engine destroyer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We finally got the car back from the garage
The warranty company gave, as I understand it, a £500 good will offer to the selling garage
The selling garage picked up the entire cost of the replacement - including a replacement clutch! So hats off to them for that
Much of the delay was discovering other broken parts - and then waiting days/weeks for replacements

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
We finally got the car back from the garage
The warranty company gave, as I understand it, a £500 good will offer to the selling garage
The selling garage picked up the entire cost of the replacement - including a replacement clutch! So hats off to them for that
Much of the delay was discovering other broken parts - and then waiting days/weeks for replacements
at least its fixed and no cost to you, dam good car sales lot, to do right thing as well, just goes to show warranty's are seldom worth paper wrote on , its the norm for when start digging in to these things find more parts needed, but at least it comes back as good as it can be, I've been finding parts ordering to be a bit of mine field these days and the prices keep heading north as well,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a suggestion that if t he part had failed more than 30 days after the purchase it would have been covered by the warranty people - but, to be honest, I fear they would have at least tried to have dodged the claim.
I was so unsure about buying the warranty in the first place I am disappointed that my fears have materialised
But, as you say, good that it is all fixed and even better that it was at no cost to me

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
its a hard one as we have warranty firms use the its wear and tear with age or can you prove the gearbox never ran dry of oil or has car been modified can also be a excuse with them, good thing about buying from a good car sales business is they know full well if that went court they would loose and end up paying even more than just doing right thing and fix it, if i were you know is ts all new run some mollyslip gearbox additive in the new oil really good stuff link below,, forte do one as well thats really good,
or forte
i run all my stuff either one , got a vw t5.1 with the dreaded 5 speed box hmm weak box running around 200bhp gives it best chance of living longer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts