MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My MINI went into the dealers today to investigate a banging noise from both left and right front suspension areas. The noise is produced when driving over road surface defects eg man-hole covers, repaired trenches etc. It is most noticeable when driving at 30 mph.

The fault has been found. When the new front suspension struts and bottom spring pads were fitted the same banging noise started. These struts were supposed to cure the left pull. The garage replaced the top suspension mounts as they appeared to be causing the "bump". However, the noise, a squeak whilst turning and a bump when driving over indentations, would not go away.

Todays investigation has found that a modified top suspension mount is now made to match up with the new strut design. Apparently nobody told my garage. The new stuts had been mated up with the wrong top-mounts twice.

Fortunately the part is now readily available. I hope to get it fitted next week. It may also improve the steering. Top suspension mounts play a part in the self-centering of the steering.

If your dealer fits new struts make sure that they also fit the new design top mounts that go with them, otherwise you will hear "bump" "bump"!

Needless to say the Service Manager is a little red-faced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many thanks for your pre-warnings Apial, as my MINI is due to go in for new struts very soon and you may have saved me much bother. I will make sure they do a proper job!

Thanks again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts