MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Lib Dem MP is putting a private members bill before parliament to ban all car alarms. IS He mad :mad:
Then again if he has a few mini cabrios living nearby I can see why :p :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Which one?

Is it Lembit Opik again? He's class. He's like Boris Johnson but left-wing and skinny.

And scared of Asteroids.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In some ways I agree with banning car alarms, if it's the siren/horn bit that is banned. It would mean that alarms had to phone you up or similar.

I have had some bad experiences with idiots setting the alarm on a car and then walking out of earshot. Modern cars arm the alarm when you lock it and many alarms do not even tell the owner when he gets back that they have been annoying the neighbours.

I had a disturbed night's sleep on a ferry when several car alarms were going off all night, as though they could have gone anywhere.

Some idiots at a service station left two big dogs in a car, and set the alarm. The dogs set the alarm off, the noise upset the dogs, so the alarm went off again. When I told them about it, they said "thats how the car is" as though buying a car absolves you of all responsibility for it's use.

Two cars that I have had the misfortune to borrow, were programmed in an evil way, designed to disturb the neighbours. On both (Merc A-class and Toyota something) you were supposed to stand and admire the car for 2 minutes after locking it. It is your New Car, it is for driving you from A to B, not to the car park near B so that you walk the last 200 yards.

On either car, if you didn't close any door properly and then locked the car, it waited 2 minutes, and sounded the alarm. The 2 minutes gave you long enough to walk out of earshot, or put the keys down and retire to the smallest room of the house.......

The alarm on my Audi A6 was so quiet that I couldn't hear it either at home or at work when the car was parked less than 10 metres from where I was sat.

If legislation makes the cars silent so that the alarms only disturb the owner, while alerting the owner when he is more than 20 m away, I am all for it.

·
MCS Owner-to-be
37 Posts
Seems bonkers to me.

Maybe he's had complaints from car thieves in his constituency that their hearing is being damaged by the nasty alarms??

In fairness it's blooming annoying when car alarms go off all the time for no reason but a blanket ban is never the answer. How about ASBO's for the responsible owners instead ;)

·
its fun pootling along!!
18 Posts
Don't diss the cabrio its not his fault have to blame those who make them!!!! :D

But I do agree its a stupid idea.

Becky

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
as the interview pointed out it's only the old alarms that cause the problem.

All modern car alarms are only aloud to be set to go off for 25 seconds and then stop.

If they wana do somethinbg about the old ones then fine, just dont blame those of us with decent new alarms!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts