MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa!?

What the `ell`s goin` on here - hold yer `orses????!!!!

Enough, enough!!

All this MINI `luvvy` stuff about the test drive experience!

Please . . . I`ve driven a Cooper and I`m on the list for an S, but please - Basil?

Did you drive the same MINI as I did? Does it drive better up-side down under, is it faster - or what?

Why didn`t I actually feel like raving about the MINI drive??

This is exactly why I`m concerned here . . . LMB wasn`t too impressed with the Type-R and yet I absolutely loved it - as did DiamondGeezer and OnlyS4me??

Honestly, I`m the last person to knock the MINI but will someone please explain why some (many?) of us aren`t actually waxing lyrical about the bog standard Cooper?

I really need to know!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sounds to me like they really drove the car hard into turns, exactly where the MINI is supposed to shine. Is it possible you didn't push the car hard?

Not that you're like this, but, my father-in-law never saw anything special about his v-tec Del Sol next to my wife's standard Del Sol. Hmmm, could be because he never drove over 5000rpm.
My point is, if the car is not pushed to the limit, you may never see the big difference from every other sporty car out there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
wot?! people like basil are excited because the cars just been lunched in their country... wots the problem with that???!!! :confused:

i've just found a type r forum actually, maybe u should go there... :) i've just realised something though- that badge looks really tacky on the type r, u've got it on the front, the sides and the back lol !!! :p

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give me some credit . . . . ! !

Redhotmini said:
wot?! people like basil are excited because the cars just been lunched in their country... wots the problem with that???!!! . . .
Nothing wrong with that Rhm and it`s not as simple as you try to make me out to be!!

Anyone see this coming off the line at Hoot . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
If anyone thinks I'm going to spend $50,000AU on a car that doesn't excite me, doesn't know me very well.......

This is a MINI site, and raving about MINI's is what we do isn't it.........

:confused:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Jakx said:
Whoa!?

What the `ell`s goin` on here - hold yer `orses????!!!!

Enough, enough!!

All this MINI `luvvy` stuff about the test drive experience!

Please . . . I`ve driven a Cooper and I`m on the list for an S, but please - Basil?

Did you drive the same MINI as I did? Does it drive better up-side down under, is it faster - or what?

This is exactly why I`m concerned here . . . LMB wasn`t too impressed with the Type-R and yet I absolutely loved it - as did DiamondGeezer and OnlyS4me??

Honestly, I`m the last person to knock the MINI but will someone please explain why some (many?) of us aren`t actually waxing lyrical about the bog standard Cooper?

I really need to know!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
We are all different Jakx, and different things excite different people. Isn't it that simple ?.

The Civic Type-R does nothing for me from a styling point of view, so why would I bother driving it (Even if I could). The Integra has the same cold affect on me.

The MINI shape I love, and the drive just re-inforced my decision. Plus my S order was dependant on a drive. Just thought I'd share my own experience. Perhaps it's an ego thing with me....might be. Hadn't considered that.hmmm.

I know what your asking, and deeply philosophical it is too. Perhaps the answer is easier to understand than the question !!.

:)

PS. Maybe you should go and grab another Cooper for half an hour and cane it. It's Brilliant.

cheers mate

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Jakx said:
Probably because your a bit of a lightweight when it comes to driving a car hard!:p Typical Honda owner! :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Basil`s test driven the MINI - did I miss something??

R1 said:

Probably because your a bit of a lightweight when it comes to driving a car hard!:p Typical Honda owner! :D
The car excells BEYOND it's limits of adhesion, and provided your under power, can be drifted "relatively" safely. If Jakx's dealer didn't allow the MINI to be driven as you would a G0-Kart then he has missed out on the whole point of BMW going to so much trouble to endow this car with such superb handling. There is now no doubt in my mind that the Cooper with 16"'s and SS+ is NOT meant to be a town runabout......The type-R must be pretty impressive to handle better than the Cooper I drove. I understand now why CAR magazine gave the cooper top vote over all the other hot hatches even though it was the slowest car tested. It's not all about speed.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I have to agree with Basil. Civic Type-R or Si have always had Japanese styling, which is none. Personal opinion here. I really cannot think of an original 'classic' Japanese car. Enough bashing. To each his own. That is what makes the world go round. There will be who love/hate the MINI just like there will be for the Honda. I can only think of the Audi TT. I am drooling over the TV commerical while my wife is going 'that's ugly'! At least she likes the MINI!

The Mini has always been about personality and great handling. How many stories came from the sixties about the racing mini's being blown away on the straights only to catch up and pass the E-types in the twisties.

·
Registered
213 Posts
MINI 4 Me!!!

Hey, I agree with Basil!

It is good to see something positive about the new MINI downunder! The roads there will be a test of roadholding capabilities and Basil seems to have given the thumbs up on the initial test drive.

I have owned Japanese fast cars, Australian fast V8 cars (that don't handle all that well), and IMHO, the MINI wins hands down.

The one word of difference between Japanese cars and the UKs new MINI is STYLE!

In 25 years, I am sure that motor ethusiasts will remember the launch of the new MINI. I am not so sure about the latest Japanese fast car.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
back to the drawing board ?

Basil said:
. . . I know what your asking, and deeply philosophical it is too. Perhaps the answer is easier to understand than the question !!. . . PS. Maybe you should go and grab another Cooper for half an hour and cane it.
It`s not deep and it`s certainly not philosophical Basil.

Maybe I should cane one for half an hour as you put it!

My test drive last year was 3-up which wouldn`t have helped impress and I have to say the route was not good either.

The Type-R was also 3-up and on damp roads but I also have to remember that the MINI was not an S!

Believe me Basil this thread was designed to generate some positive feed-back not to have some kind of `go` at you.

And as for R1 . . . . I have been known to fly occasionally but perhaps I`ve been spoilt, in hatchback terms, by some fast past-masters?

;) ;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: back to the drawing board ?

Jakx said:
............Maybe I should cane one for half an hour as you put it.........!

;) ;)

DO IT Jakx !!!......... You MUST do that before you make up your mind to get your Type-R.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Jakx.
Please make sure you test drive an "S" before ordering an "R".
Just a thought. By the time the "S" comes out, you will be able to walk into a Honda dealer and buy a Civic Type R over the counter. No waiting list.
Cancel your "S" order and find you were wrong, you will have to wait until next year to get one. ;)

Mind you. Seeing as you already have a Honda S2000, therefore not short of a bob or two, why don't you defer your "S" order for twelve months, buy a Civic type R, get it out of your system, then trade it in for the Cooper "S". Any teething faults would have been sorted by then and you would of got fed up with the Civic. ;)
There. Sorted! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts