MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I’ve joined the “stupid grin” club.

My first drive of a MINI Cooper today. Manual, 16” 5-star wheels, SS+, Full leather (NOT sports seats – more on this later), Sunroof, Manual air-con, No glovebox.

My dealer drove us out until we reached a quiet area down by Brisbane Dockyards. Sunroof fully open, is a little noisy at speed (who cares) driver side window glass appeared to have stain on it roughly where side mirror is (who cares). Little neon lights on the ends of the toggle switches are very cool, and have a nice feel to them. Car certainly feels small (read cosy) from the passenger seat but lovely and airy with the sunroof. Interior was Cordoba beige full leather, standard seats. Car felt nippy (only 170kms old). Once we left the traffic, my dealer opened her up, and wow, what a wonderful sound from this car under power. It’s certainly no slouch with only 85kw. I was waiting for him to slow down at the first corner (we were traveling at around 80km/h) which I would have driven around at say 60km/h max. But instead he floored it and we took the bend at just under 100km/h. At that point I realized for myself what journo’s the world over have been saying since release. This car is SPECIAL. Having nearly ended up on my dealers lap, to anyone considering getting full leather in the standard seats: don’t. They have almost non-existent lateral support, and the shiny leather I would consider almost dangerous on a car that appears to be able to pull 9g’s on corners. Perhaps after they’ve sagged a little they’ll be better. Cloth seats would probably be ok, but on my S, no full leather. I wan’t my bum on cloth!!. And sports seats are definitely a necessity even in the Cooper.
After a short while we swapped seats and I settled behind the wheel. Leather wheel wonderful and chunky. Light clutch, engage first and we are away. Fantastic Gearbox, short throws and very positive. Don’t like the slow drop in revs on lift off changing gear. End up slewing the clutch. This may be peculiar to this car. But it was helpful on down changes. Brakes are again extremely positive and responsive. No problems there. Cornering potential is incredible. Approach bend under brakes, swift downchange and power through the corner. The chassis is amazing. It’s front wheel drive, yet you can drift it sideways through corners under power. I have not had so much fun in a car for years. My dealer was happy to allow me to thrash it, and we both got out with big grins on our faces. Central Tacho for oz cars is a non-issue with me by the way. You can feel this car, and I didn’t need to see where the power band was. The S with an extra 35kw is going to be AWESOME.

Oh, I almost forgot. NO PULL. NO VEER. NO DRIFT. Straight as a die………but. Incredibly direct steering. Brisbane’s roads are not the best of places to test this car, and some of the larger potholes were a little dramatic, but no worse than you’d expect from a Go-Kart. Again, I don’t care. This car is fantastic. If anyone here has cancelled his or her order without having driven one, whatever you’ve bought instead must be out of this world handling wise.

Subsequently, My S build sheet is now filled out……… DSC III. Think it might spoil the MINI experience ?

To everyone here who convinced me to keep my S order.

THANK YOU

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
and about time to!

Good to hear you've finally got your hands on one Basil!

Can I be the 1st to say.."we told you so"..;):)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Welcome to the club:D

Looks like the roads down at the docks yards are getting a work over with all these test drives down there.:D

Good to see you found that bit of 4 X 2 bit of wood I told you to go have a look for ;)

Snoopy

When do you pick up your S?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Do you want a job?

BMW PR people take note
they should have a billboard up with a picture of your cheeky grin with those words next to it
What better advert for the Mini?

Cant wait to get mine

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: and about time to!

Dogger said:
Good to hear you've finally got your hands on one Basil!

Can I be the 1st to say.."we told you so"..;):)
Thanks Dogger, and you were right.......with Bell's on.

The MINI is a DRIVERS car, and will not suit everyone.

But it's fantastic little sports car. I am truly amazed at it's abilities. I'm sure that chassis could take 250BHP.

I'm still completely awe inspired.

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
snoopy said:
Welcome to the club:D

Looks like the roads down at the docks yards are getting a work over with all these test drives down there.:D

Good to see you found that bit of 4 X 2 bit of wood I told you to go have a look for ;)

Snoopy

Whe do you pick up your S?
Thanks mate, and the 4x2 wasn't required. I bitched on this forum yesterday about MINI adverts for test drives. And as if by magic I had a call from Mark this morning. (Maybe GS read it!! :) ).

My S is scheduled for Sept/Oct 2002. No pre-specced EB car for me.......

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
I only wish we Brits got the chance to drive them in 'proper' sunshine like you do....every MINI colour scheme I've seen yet over here takes on a completely different look when you get some sun on it..:)

Still...there's something to be said for taking a hairpin bend at some ridiculous speed on a wet foggy road to get your pulse going..:):)

How are you going to cope with the wait between your test drive and taking delivery though?...I recomend lots and lots of test drives..you know, just to make sure you haven't forgotten to check every little detail out..;) It helps if you manage to convince your dealers that you have a very short-term memory too...!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Do you want a job?

ELISEBOY said:
BMW PR people take note
they should have a billboard up with a picture of your cheeky grin with those words next to it
What better advert for the Mini?

Cant wait to get mine

:D :D :D :D
ha ha, well in my opinion BMW deserve all the credit they get for putting this wonderful machine into production.

I can happily wait now for my Dakar yellow Cooper S to arrive......

WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!...........

:D

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Well Basil, I must say it's nice to hear that you have finally joined us in the life changing experience that is driving a new MINI!

Now that I have had mine for over 6 months now sometimes I forget just how much fun driving it really is. I like hearing from you new comers as it reminds me of my first drive and how I knew I just had to own one!!

Now you just have to wait until yours arrives....

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dogger said:
I only wish we Brits got the chance to drive them in 'proper' sunshine like you do....every MINI colour scheme I've seen yet over here takes on a completely different look when you get some sun on it..:)

Still...there's something to be said for taking a hairpin bend at some ridiculous speed on a wet foggy road to get your pulse going..:):)

How are you going to cope with the wait between your test drive and taking delivery though?...I recomend lots and lots of test drives..you know, just to make sure you haven't forgotten to check every little detail out..;) It helps if you manage to convince your dealers that you have a very short-term memory too...!
Hmmm, well today was a bit of a Cornish day, overcast, and a little damp. The only sunshine eminating from the stupid grins of two people doing ridiculous speeds around ridiculously sharp corners, with a car that was probably grinning as well. The only box I havn't ticked yet is the DSC III box. Might keep me out of trouble, but I'm sure it will be turned off most of the time. Todays drive will stay with me for a long time i'm sure, and the S demo will be here in May.....Imagine the grins on that day.

I'll try and fit in a few "gentle" drives in the meantime.......like to do the same corners with sports seats. Anyone fitted a 3 point harness yet I wonder.

:D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
monsta said:
Well Basil, I must say it's nice to hear that you have finally joined us in the life changing experience that is driving a new MINI!

Now that I have had mine for over 6 months now sometimes I forget just how much fun driving it really is. I like hearing from you new comers as it reminds me of my first drive and how I knew I just had to own one!!

Now you just have to wait until yours arrives....
Thanks monsta.

Indeed a life changing experience. And your so lucky to have access to your MINI 24 hrs a day. But I can honestly say, that to wait is no problem. No running off to buy Honda's out of frustration for me......

Oh, and sorry, but I had to order a yellow one rather than the red.

:)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
monsta said:

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

;)

ha ha, sorry mate, but this car for me.... (kindly modified to a white roof/mirrors/stripes by OnlyS4me (clever isn't he) after making hime feel guilty over his R-type MPV thingy defection :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kjs said:
Basil

I bet you've got that "ear to ear" MINI driver grin....

kjs
ha ha, yep. And you can see the reaction from the rest of the staff at the dealership...... silly grin creates smiles all round......what a laugh!!

cheers mate

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Basil said:
ha ha, sorry mate, but this car for me.... (kindly modified to a white roof/mirrors/stripes by OnlyS4me (clever isn't he) after making hime feel guilty over his R-type MPV thingy defection :) )
I'll let you off Basil as that Cooper S looks mean!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts