MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is a stupid question...I'm considering a battery cut-off switch as an anti-theft device. I found one here:http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/MossUK/ProductList.aspx?SubSubCategoryID=NewMini_UGAC3192X. Installing this item means that my MCS will be standing without battery power for periods of time. What happens with the alarm and the locking system? There is no point in this switch if the alarm doesen't work and I can't get in and out in a normal fashion. Please help :confused:
Here's a pic of the switch:

Attachments

· Registered
2,283 Posts
I think your alarm, radio and door locks won't work.

How about leaving the battey connected, but adding a "secret" switch in the low-current wire going to the starter motor?

A 1.8 mm diameter (The copper part I think) Black with Green stripe wire coming from the electronic immobilizer unit and running to the starter motor is the 12-volt low-current wire to the starter motor.

You could add either a toggle switch, or a key-switch under the hood or under the dashboard.

I'm not sure WHY you would want to do this since someone needs to steal your keys to get the car started anyway, and you probably would also have this key on the ring as well.

Maybe if you REALLY hide the switch somewhere, you would add some teft-prevention to the already excellent built-in engine immobilizer system.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response :) When it comes to anti - theft I just want to be on the safe side...a couple Mini's have been stolen in my area recently without the keys.
Sad that some people can't leave other peoples things alone.

· Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
Kill switches are the most effective anti-theft device, as long as they're installed inconspicuously. Like in the rear fog toggle if you don't have rear fogs, etc. If you have the old MFSW, maybe they can use that extra button on the left hand side of the wheel or something... If its obvious, they'll figure it out of course.

· Registered
700 Posts
The one you have pictured is a piece of crap, if it's the same as the one I fitted on my Triumph. The green plastic knob is prone to breaking.

There are far better battery cutoff switches out there, if you're installing one it's worth extra dough to get a good one.

Moss sells a nice one, I think. Check their website, it's there. Not cheap.

· Registered
1,592 Posts
electricblue said:
Thanks for the response :) When it comes to anti - theft I just want to be on the safe side...a couple Mini's have been stolen in my area recently without the keys.
Sad that some people can't leave other peoples things alone.
You will more than likely find these MINI's (and not Mini's) were loaded onto to a table top (like the towies use) and no immobilizing system will defeat that type of theft. This method is used regularly to steal late model cars with good anti theft systems in Aus so I am assuming it would be the same over there. :eek:

GPS tracking with remote and stability immobilisation is really the only way to reduce the chance of theft more than what is offered in a MINI already does.

As alankilian says the MINI has a very good anti theft system and better than tacking on a kill switch which any Thief would find in a minute. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.