MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hei, just got my r53 mini one and yeah, after the first rain and since then almost every night battery is drained and every morning need to jumpstart. I read several discussions on the subject and I will jump to the point cause my time is limited to start looking for drain in all the systems.
In case of the stereo fault, would be enough to remove the 2 fuses f10 &f27 overnight in order to check if the stereo drains the battery or need to remove the cables from the stereo? The stereo also noticed today switches sources it self.
I will check after this if is not the problem the rest most common...
Also rear left light looks foggy from the inside and found some little rust in the bottom of the bulb rack. That will be the second place to check, needs some more time checking the place for bad earth or corrosion.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
995 Posts
Could also be that the alternator isn't charging the battery properly and/or the battery needs replacing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is almost new and charges very quickly to be alternator or battery... after overblnight drain battery looks ok and starts every time after half hour driving in the city...

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
is car damp inside ie if left over night do windows get very wet insides if do might water damp ingress to bcm ie drivers side fuse box

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, when i unlock CAR in the morning lights and windows turn on/move theirselv... when battery is not drained nothing of these happens. Just noticed my phone connected on the aftermarket Bluetooth adaptor while car was parked and off. Removed the f27 fuse and Bluetooth went offf. I suspect is the stereo... if tomorrow car starts with fuse f27 off then I will just replace the radio... wish me luck to be that quick and easy 😳

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, when i unlock CAR in the morning lights and windows turn on/move theirselv... when battery is not drained nothing of these happens. Just noticed my phone connected on the aftermarket Bluetooth adaptor while car was parked and off. Removed the f27 fuse and Bluetooth went offf. I suspect is the stereo... if tomorrow car starts with fuse f27 off then I will just replace the radio... wish me luck to be that quick and easy 😳
Well this with fuses didnt work...should i disconnect the wiring loom compketely to be sure?

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
handy tool below can see what amps is being drawn on each fuse socket best way yo find the circuit. plug in to a circuit lock car let it sleep after 4 minutes should only have around 100-300 miliamps draw to body control and cas unit security circuits,

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Thanks again... I will buy voltmeter tomorrow and check with fuses first before everything...
that tool above plugs in to the fuse socket ie pull fuse out plug that tool above in that will show what amps that circuit is using ie you need to know that to know where a discharge is, and go through all fuses one at a time until find one that is pulling over 1amp all the time, thats not a volt meter its a amp meter shows currant flow ie amps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ye
that tool above plugs in to the fuse socket ie pull fuse out plug that tool above in that will show what amps that circuit is using ie you need to know that to know where a discharge is, and go through all fuses one at a time until find one that is pulling over 1amp all the time, thats not a volt meter its a amp meter shows currant flow ie amps
that what I wanted to write... multimeter so I can check amps... thanks anyway

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-0.5 with all the fuses attached.
-0.38 with f10 and f27 off (stereo)
I keep looking where should I get to be satisfied?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally dropped to 0 arter half hour. But I did disconnect rear plate number light cause one was very corroded... I will leave it for the night and let’s see.. but the stereo definitely draws some and at least by removing fuses it stops...think isn’t just the radio but the harness right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts