MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having to call out the Mini Emergency guy for a SECOND time last week due to a flat battery, my car was in at the dealers to get to the bottom of the problem. After doing a drain test they replaced some control unit, did an overnight drain test and gave it back yesterday with the all clear.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that the amber lighting on the multi-function wheel always seems to be on when I unlock the car with the remote, regardless of how long the car has been locked for, i.e. it is still lit up after been sitting in the garage overnight.

Firstly, is this normal for it to be illuminated overnight with the alarm on?

Secondly, surely this lighting being on overnight/when car parked up must be draining the battery?

Any ideas of what to do next as if I get another flat battery I'll be very p*ssed off! I suppose I could get the dealers to deactivate the steering wheel lighting but that's not the point.

Thanks in advance

·
MINI Fan
48 Posts
Let me guess...

Three-spoke steering wheel? If so, I'd put money on it being a combination of the Instrument pack, BC1 and the steering wheel buttons themselves. I remember seeing almost exactly what you've just described before, and it was a right ba*d to replicate the problem.

The MFL (steering wheel switches) on their own won't cause an overnight drain of the battery, but they certainly won't help. What's giving you the flat batteries is that the MFL, BC1, Kombi and (I think) radio are all held awake. I can't remember if it's a pathological MFL condition that causes it, but that would be my first guess. Not the best built component on the car...

What did they replace? If it was the BC1, they should be shot :) Body controllers haven't been a problem in a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You guessed right, it was the BC1 that was replaced and it seems to have done b*gger all to solve the problem. I'm plugging it in to a trickle charger every night so I don't get stuck at the airport again!

It's in on Monday to get the idle pulley replaced to get rid of an annoying 'squeeling' sound from under the bonnet. Any other suggestions as to what I get them to check next?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts